POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG Texturing : Re: CSG Texturing Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Texturing
From: Peter Popov
Date: 9 Oct 1998 22:07:46
Message: <361eb362.0@news.povray.org>
J. L. Rose wrote in message <361### [at] spamBgonenbnetnbca>...
>> Peter
>
>I vote for something like (in pseudo-POV-Ray code):
>
> union of {
>     intersection { WhiteKeys and plane }
>     intersection { BlackKeys and plane }
>     }
>

>provided that it's easy to separate the two different sets of keys out
>from what he already has.
>
>-jr-
>* Delete "spamBgone." to get my real address *

Well, planes are infinite and I am almost certain that automatic bounding
does not handle intersections of infinite objects correctly, and all the
keys are intersections of at least six planes and some other stuff. So I
manually bounded each key, then each row of keys, and finally the keyboard.
It was a magnitude faster. This solution, of course, only left me with the
choice of going the hard way, but it worked. The question remains open,
since this was a specific case, and a general solution is needed. Maybe even
an addition in future POV that solves the problem. For example, it would be
nice if, in CSG, a keyword specifies that no texture really means no texture
and not black (i.e. use the texture of the other CSG object and not the on
with no texture, hope it's clear). Just an idea anyway.

Peter