POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Connection costs Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Connection costs (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Redaelli Paolo
Subject: Re: Connection costs
Date: 18 Feb 1970 08:56:56
Message: <1255.353T2815T8963739@inc.it>
>I use a cable modem ( up to 500 Kbs ) and it smokes!!
>I get charged $55 per. month for 1Gbyte of traffic and 24hr/day
>connect time, ( this is cool because I can connect to my home machine
>from work) + 3-Email addresses and 5mbytes of storage on the providers
>server.
8-/

>I've heard most that most of the users in Europe are basically screwed
>blue by their telecomms. Is this true ? How do my charges compare to
>yours ? What about the US, how do your charges compare ?
I'm Padanian, (slaves of the tyrannic Italian government)
and I'm charged 1$ for 1 hour of Inet connection over a 33k6
modem.... for an entire month I would end up paying some
744$!!!
And cable modem connection are impossible! No cables....
And these prices are ONLY for connections...
The ISP service is more or less 160-170US$ a year... they're
cheaper...

/ Redaelli Paolo EMail: red### [at] incit | Known as Tybor on #Amiga, \
| POV-Team Amiga                        | #AmIrc and #AmigaIta      |
| Porter of AmiForge, GForge, Lparser   \---------------------------+
| Fantasy home page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/4950     |
\___________________________________________________________________/

Post a reply to this message

From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 21 Feb 1998 14:08:05
Message: <1d4n7l9.1kib5s34t0aieN@dialup92-2-3.swipnet.se>
Anthony Bouttell <bou### [at] rogerswaveca> wrote:

Hello from Linkoping, Sweden!

The fee for normal users is 150 skr (~15-20 US$) per three month
period plus local phonecall charges (1 cents/minute). As a student
I can get free dialup (only localcall charges) or I could choose to
live in students quarters and have a permanent (ethernet) link to
internet (~300MBit/s) for approximatly 80 skr / month.
I have heard of a new company cooperating with the major telephone
company which provides a free dialup (they get their money through
the localphone call charges).
I think 10-20Mb webspace is provided through most ISP's, but
I don't know since I have free webspace through a (student) computer
club (www.lysator.se)

/ Mathias Broxvall

Post a reply to this message

From: Joshua Boyd
Date: 21 Feb 1998 21:28:47
Message: <34EF8D5F.2054@aol.com>
Anthony Bouttell wrote:

> I use a cable modem ( up to 500 Kbs ) and it smokes!!
> I get charged $55 per. month for 1Gbyte of traffic and 24hr/day
> connect time, ( this is cool because I can connect to my home machine
> from work) + 3-Email addresses and 5mbytes of storage on the providers
> server.

> I've heard most that most of the users in Europe are basically screwed
> blue by their telecomms. Is this true ? How do my charges compare to
> yours ? What about the US, how do your charges compare ?

When cable is available, it is usually priced like yours is.  Some areas
cable is 1.5m, or several other speeds up to 9.xm.  I think the charges
are generally similar though for those faster speeds.  If cable isn't an
option ( most of the US is this way) then we are pretty screwed on
anything faster than a 56k modem.  ISDN is something like $30 a mo to
the ISP for 100 channel/hours (ie, 100 hours at 64k, or 50 at 128k),
then $2.50 per additional hour.  The ISDN line is generally $20 to $30
plus a per minute charge, which on the east coast is something like
$.02?
T1 is $1500 a month, and there isn't anything in between, except
fractional T1 at $500/mo up.

-Joshua Boyd
http://catpro.dragonfire.net/joshua/

Post a reply to this message

From: Scott Hill
Date: 25 Feb 1970 11:38:48
Message: <01bd4206$fef0e8c0$8c00a8c0@shindo>
Anthony Bouttell <bou### [at] rogerswaveca> wrote in article
<34ec3128.126960860@news.povray.org>...
> This may not be the most appropriate place to ask this question but:
>
> I notice that quite a few of the users are from Europe and I was
> wondering how you tele-comm charges compare to mine, ( Canada ).
>
> I use a cable modem ( up to 500 Kbs ) and it smokes!!
> I get charged $55 per. month for 1Gbyte of traffic and 24hr/day
> connect time, ( this is cool because I can connect to my home machine
> from work) + 3-Email addresses and 5mbytes of storage on the providers
> server.
>
> I've heard most that most of the users in Europe are basically screwed
> blue by their telecomms. Is this true ? How do my charges compare to
> yours ? What about the US, how do your charges compare ?

	In the UK it varies quite a bit. When it comes to choosing telecomms
providers you've basically got, if your lucky, four options :

	1. British Telecom, has had a bit of monopoly up untill recently,
overpriced, but available just about anywhere.
	2. Mercury - really don't know much about them, never lived in an area
where it's been an option.
	3. Local Cable provider - usually far cheaper than BT, virtually always
offer cheap cable to cable calls. Availability varies - depends whether
there's a cable provider for your local area. A few cable operators have
tried limited free local calls, but the networks simply couldn't cope with
thousands of users being permanently connected to there ISPs, so that
quickly stopped.
	4. Ionica - uses microwave(?) communications, similar pricing to cable,
again availabilty depends on location.

	Now, neither Ionica or BT provide internet services (though both say
'we're considering it'), some cable operators do, but they're in the
minority and again I don't know about Mercury on this point.
	The other consideration is that, though some cable operators do provide an
internet service, you'll very rarely find support for cable modems amongst
them, so if your looking for speed, you've got to go the ISDN route -
hideously expensive over here.
	Right, so you manage to find yourself a local cable provider that also
acts as an ISP, but as you still have to pay for every second of the call,
making 24hr a day connect times totaly out of the questions.

	So, yep, in short, at least in the UK, we are screwed blue by the
telecomms companies.

:(

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kent.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

Post a reply to this message

From: Joshua Boyd
Date: 26 Feb 1998 01:13:11
Message: <34F507F7.1559@aol.com>
Scott Hill wrote:

>         In the UK it varies quite a bit. When it comes to choosing telecomms
> providers you've basically got, if your lucky, four options :

>         1. British Telecom, has had a bit of monopoly up untill recently,
> overpriced, but available just about anywhere.
>         2. Mercury - really don't know much about them, never lived in an area
> where it's been an option.
>         3. Local Cable provider - usually far cheaper than BT, virtually always
> offer cheap cable to cable calls. Availability varies - depends whether
> there's a cable provider for your local area. A few cable operators have
> tried limited free local calls, but the networks simply couldn't cope with
> thousands of users being permanently connected to there ISPs, so that
> quickly stopped.

I've heard talk of cable operators offer voice traffic in the US, but no
one has implemented it yet to my understanding.

>         4. Ionica - uses microwave(?) communications, similar pricing to cable,
> again availabilty depends on location.

We are now starting to see a couple of wireless solutions in the US, but
they are very rare.  When available the price varies extremely widely.

>         Now, neither Ionica or BT provide internet services (though both say
> 'we're considering it'), some cable operators do, but they're in the
> minority and again I don't know about Mercury on this point.

I can't get a straight answer from my cable company.  The Bell Atlantic
does offer Internet service for a flat rate, but I heard they are going
to be changing that to free 100 hours instead of flat rate soon.

>         The other consideration is that, though some cable operators do provide an
> internet service, you'll very rarely find support for cable modems amongst
> them, so if your looking for speed, you've got to go the ISDN route -
> hideously expensive over here.

I have yet to here of ISDN being reasonable anywhere.  It seems that in
all areas either the phone company wants to screw you, or all the local
ISPs want to screw you for ISDN access.  It is interesting to note that
Penn State York Campus (and probably main campus, and others as well) is
offering ISDN dialups for their students.  The lines in any local area
cost a fortune though.

>         Right, so you manage to find yourself a local cable provider that also
> acts as an ISP, but as you still have to pay for every second of the call,
> making 24hr a day connect times totaly out of the questions.

In the US and Canada cable usually sounds like a good deal if it is
available at all.

>         So, yep, in short, at least in the UK, we are screwed blue by the
> telecomms companies.

I had heard the number of about 812 pounds ($1300 US) for a full time
internet connection via 33.6k.  How much does t1 service cost?  The last
time I checked, in the US t1 Internet service was $1500.  Also, can you
lease a normal line?  In the US it is possible to lease a phone line for
about the same as switched service (it is more reliable), but I was
wondering if that might be a cheaper option in the UK.

I do find it interesting that UK users seem to be some of the most
hardcore net surfers, considering how expensive it is over there.

From: Matthew Mc Clement
Date: 27 Feb 1998 15:27:49
Message: <34F721C5.4140347A@global.net.uk>
Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I had heard the number of about 812 pounds ($1300 US) for a full time
> internet connection via 33.6k.  How much does t1 service cost?  The last
> time I checked, in the US t1 Internet service was $1500.  Also, can you

Forget t1 in the UK. We have leased lines and for one thats equavalent

EXCLUDING installation costs. Sigh.....

> lease a normal line?  In the US it is possible to lease a phone line for
> about the same as switched service (it is more reliable), but I was
> wondering if that might be a cheaper option in the UK.

Lease a normal line? You mean xDSL? It's still in trials if thats what
you were meaning.

> I do find it interesting that UK users seem to be some of the most
> hardcore net surfers, considering how expensive it is over there.

but this is slightly higher than normal...

Cheers, Matthew

P.S. I used to live in South Africa and although I have'nt been there
for a year the phone calls are about 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of UK calls,
depending on when you called.

Post a reply to this message

From: Willow
Date: 27 Feb 1998 09:25:13
Message: <34F6CCC8.43C6ACFB@hotmail.com>
> I notice that quite a few of the users are from Europe and I was
> wondering how you tele-comm charges compare to mine, ( Canada ).

G'day from Australia!

Australia seems to be reasonable in my opinion - more reasonable if you
live in the city.  I don't though - a town of 4000.

I got a modem and ISP provider about 2 months ago.  Phone calls are 25
cents, untimed, might be 20 in Sydney though.  Aussie dollar (which has
fallen recently) is about 65 - 70 US cents.  Roughly two thirds.
I get charged $360 Aus. per year for 40 hours a month by Netspace.  They
say its 71 cents an hour.  $2 extra for each additional hour.
They offer either 20, 40 or 60 hours a month - price scales evenly at 71
cents an hour.  You can buy a block of hours (such as 50 hours) with no
time limit, but I think its about $2 an hour, so they are really
encouraging you to sign for a year.
Netspace started supporting 56k modems about a week before I joined up,
last December.  They do not have download limits or any extra charges for
56k users.
I have a friend in a city nearby (30k people or so) and she gets unlimited
access for about 20 or 30 a month.  I'm spewing.
Cable is available in the major cities.  I don't really know the speeds.
I hear ISDN and T1 lines are phenomenally expensive.

btw, I got a second line for the modem, it's $11.65 per month, no
international calls.  About $200 for installation though.  And they did a
lousy job - there was a big hole in the wall!  And we complained, they
sent someone else out to fix it, and he made it bigger and charged us 50
dollars more!  Needless to say we didn't pay and complained some more . .
.

Phone calls add up, especially when I get disconnected so much, so I
wouldn't mind the US's freebies.

Ciao

Willow

Post a reply to this message

From: aardvarko
Date: 30 May 1998 15:39:46
Message: <6ksehf$1ul$1@oz.aussie.org>
>> I've heard most that most of the users in Europe are basically screwed
>> blue by their telecomms. Is this true ? How do my charges compare to
>> yours ? What about the US, how do your charges compare ?

In Northern Virginia, USA, I pay $10 a month for unlimited, and the phone
bill's around $45 for unlimited local calls (o'course, not including long
distance) ...

-aardvarko

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 1 Jun 1998 05:24:18
Message: <6kts39$3c3$1@oz.aussie.org>
Wow that's good!  I wish I had that kind of setup in Australia.  I hear
Bigpond (Australia's Telstra, which is the leading phone company) is going
unlimited for $30 a month.  This is much better than what is usually the
price!

--
Lance Birch
Remove the smiley to e-mail.

Post a reply to this message

From: DENEUX johann
Date: 10 Jun 1998 07:31:35
Message: <357E6E97.33E9@univ-mulhouse.fr>
Anthony Bouttell wrote:

> This may not be the most appropriate place to ask this question but:
>
> I notice that quite a few of the users are from Europe and I was
> wondering how you tele-comm charges compare to mine, ( Canada ).
>
> I use a cable modem ( up to 500 Kbs ) and it smokes!!
I use a "phone" modem (connected at 31600 bps)
> I get charged $55 per. month for 1Gbyte of traffic and 24hr/day
> connect time, ( this is cool because I can connect to my home machine
> from work) + 3-Email addresses and 5mbytes of storage on the providers
> server.
I have to pay 70 F (14 $ ?) per month to my isp, that provides me:
	10 Mo for HTML pages
	Unlimited connection time
	1 Email address

> I've heard most that most of the users in Europe are basically screwed
> blue by their telecomms. Is this true ? How do my charges compare to
> yours ? What about the US, how do your charges compare ?

The cost of 1 hour conection is ~ 1.5 $

Each month, I receive (my parents ;-)) a bill of ~30 $ (for ~ 10 h
/month).

Nice, isn't it ? :-|