POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Connection costs : Re: Connection costs Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Connection costs
From: Willow
Date: 27 Feb 1998 09:25:13
Message: <34F6CCC8.43C6ACFB@hotmail.com>
> I notice that quite a few of the users are from Europe and I was
> wondering how you tele-comm charges compare to mine, ( Canada ).

G'day from Australia!

Australia seems to be reasonable in my opinion - more reasonable if you
live in the city.  I don't though - a town of 4000.

I got a modem and ISP provider about 2 months ago.  Phone calls are 25
cents, untimed, might be 20 in Sydney though.  Aussie dollar (which has
fallen recently) is about 65 - 70 US cents.  Roughly two thirds.
I get charged $360 Aus. per year for 40 hours a month by Netspace.  They
say its 71 cents an hour.  $2 extra for each additional hour.
They offer either 20, 40 or 60 hours a month - price scales evenly at 71
cents an hour.  You can buy a block of hours (such as 50 hours) with no
time limit, but I think its about $2 an hour, so they are really
encouraging you to sign for a year.
Netspace started supporting 56k modems about a week before I joined up,
last December.  They do not have download limits or any extra charges for
56k users.
I have a friend in a city nearby (30k people or so) and she gets unlimited
access for about 20 or 30 a month.  I'm spewing.
Cable is available in the major cities.  I don't really know the speeds.
I hear ISDN and T1 lines are phenomenally expensive.

btw, I got a second line for the modem, it's $11.65 per month, no
international calls.  About $200 for installation though.  And they did a
lousy job - there was a big hole in the wall!  And we complained, they
sent someone else out to fix it, and he made it bigger and charged us 50
dollars more!  Needless to say we didn't pay and complained some more . .
.

Phone calls add up, especially when I get disconnected so much, so I
wouldn't mind the US's freebies.

Ciao

Willow