POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Connection costs : Re: Connection costs Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Connection costs
From: Joshua Boyd
Date: 21 Feb 1998 21:28:47
Message: <34EF8D5F.2054@aol.com>
Anthony Bouttell wrote:

> I use a cable modem ( up to 500 Kbs ) and it smokes!!
> I get charged $55 per. month for 1Gbyte of traffic and 24hr/day
> connect time, ( this is cool because I can connect to my home machine
> from work) + 3-Email addresses and 5mbytes of storage on the providers
> server.

> I've heard most that most of the users in Europe are basically screwed
> blue by their telecomms. Is this true ? How do my charges compare to
> yours ? What about the US, how do your charges compare ?

When cable is available, it is usually priced like yours is.  Some areas
cable is 1.5m, or several other speeds up to 9.xm.  I think the charges
are generally similar though for those faster speeds.  If cable isn't an
option ( most of the US is this way) then we are pretty screwed on
anything faster than a 56k modem.  ISDN is something like $30 a mo to
the ISP for 100 channel/hours (ie, 100 hours at 64k, or 50 at 128k),
then $2.50 per additional hour.  The ISDN line is generally $20 to $30
plus a per minute charge, which on the east coast is something like
$.02?
T1 is $1500 a month, and there isn't anything in between, except
fractional T1 at $500/mo up.

-Joshua Boyd
http://catpro.dragonfire.net/joshua/