POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Voxel output from POV? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Voxel output from POV? (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Daniel Matthews
Subject: Voxel output from POV?
Date: 22 Jan 2002 18:14:49
Message: <1416110.YRq4vBrkhl@3-e.net>
How complex a task would it be to patch POV so that is could render a scene
to a wavelet compressed voxel (3d pixel) file.

I know some of these voxel files could be huge but tricks can be used to
reduce their size. Remove all data inside opaque volumes and use a separate
data layer for media and atmospherics so that it can be turned off or very
high levels of compression applied to it. Multiple LOD points could be set
to allow for navigation through the scene. Imagine these LODs as a set of
overlapping spherical gradients that control the compression level.

I often wonder what it would be like to wander/look around inside some of
the first class work on from the IRTC.

Think of it as extreme POV-VRML

:o) Dan.

Post a reply to this message

I have a friend who has a voxel engine that accepts height maps from POV Ray
and color maps to lay over them. It works very well. Let me know if that is
something that would interest you.

"Daniel Matthews" <dan### [at] 3-enet> wrote in message
news:141### [at] 3-enet...
> How complex a task would it be to patch POV so that is could render a
scene
> to a wavelet compressed voxel (3d pixel) file.
>
> I know some of these voxel files could be huge but tricks can be used to
> reduce their size. Remove all data inside opaque volumes and use a
separate
> data layer for media and atmospherics so that it can be turned off or very
> high levels of compression applied to it. Multiple LOD points could be set
> to allow for navigation through the scene. Imagine these LODs as a set of
> overlapping spherical gradients that control the compression level.
>
> I often wonder what it would be like to wander/look around inside some of
> the first class work on from the IRTC.
>
> Think of it as extreme POV-VRML
>
> :o) Dan.

Post a reply to this message

I was interested in a patched version of POV that has the exact features
that I described, or a reasonable subset of them. Or a discussion on it's
feasibility..

Unless your friend's engine is GPL and can handle multidimensional wavelet
arrays, including alpha/mask dimensional sets?

Mitchell Waite wrote:

> I have a friend who has a voxel engine that accepts height maps from POV
> Ray and color maps to lay over them. It works very well. Let me know if
> that is something that would interest you.
>
> "Daniel Matthews" <dan### [at] 3-enet> wrote in message
> news:141### [at] 3-enet...
>> How complex a task would it be to patch POV so that is could render a
> scene
>> to a wavelet compressed voxel (3d pixel) file.
>>
>> I know some of these voxel files could be huge but tricks can be used to
>> reduce their size. Remove all data inside opaque volumes and use a
> separate
>> data layer for media and atmospherics so that it can be turned off or
>> very high levels of compression applied to it. Multiple LOD points could
>> be set to allow for navigation through the scene. Imagine these LODs as a
>> set of overlapping spherical gradients that control the compression
>> level.
>>
>> I often wonder what it would be like to wander/look around inside some of
>> the first class work on from the IRTC.
>>
>> Think of it as extreme POV-VRML
>>
>> :o) Dan.

Post a reply to this message