POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends Server Time
18 May 2024 06:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  PovRay Google Trends (Message 107 to 116 of 126)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: PovRay Google Trends
Date: 18 Nov 2016 01:00:31
Message: <582e98ff$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/14/2016 5:31 PM, Stephen Klebs wrote:

>> For such an effort to be noticed is hard because other programs do that all the
>> time, changing website theme (not by much) or even changing software name though
>> as a user, I wouldn't be against any of these... even switching back to an older
>> name and theme would be cool for the renderer's image, people forgot them
>> they're as brand new... Renaming pov DKB trace /PVRay/Persistence or anything
>> would look like it's really back for instance, any change is better than
>> asleep...  Anyway these are easy quick changes to decide after discussions
>>
>> The hardest part of the job is really being done by pov developers currently I
>> don't think more than what is being done is necessary, but it does take time!
>> almost done, the good thing is that changes are more apparent now that they
>> happen in the main trunk because developers of experimental versions like
>> Uberpov pay attention to synchronise with trunk regularly and port back their
>> stable changes as opposed to the pov vs megapov gap of older days.
>>
>> I agree with previous statements on one other thing that could currently be done
>> more, as said before:For end users to post more work in progress and finished
>> images outside of here!
>>
>> Blenderartists.org does have an "other software" section, CG society,
>> Behance... whatever works.
>
> It's a problem too that from the occasional coding I do the last thing I look
> forward to is playing around with interface buttons and sliders and trying to
> catch all the possible traps the end-user might fall in. UI is really a whole
> different skill.

A WYSIWYG point and click GUI would be a PITA to write. I think that
would be expecting too much out of our devs.

Better interoperability with other tools and formats may be more
realistic (though also kind of unlikely).

For instance I use a program called GeoGebra to sketch out a lot of
things before I start doing them in POV-Ray. A way to export to POV-Ray
would come in real handy.

Also, I think Inkscape can export to POV-Ray, but I have never used the
feature.

Unfortunately, I am not a *real* programmer or math wiz, so I cannot help.

Mike

Post a reply to this message