POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Image Submission Reality Check Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Image Submission Reality Check (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Image Submission Reality Check
Date: 10 Sep 2004 10:56:25
Message: <4141c099$1@news.povray.org>
Howdy,

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, so I just wanted
to fling this out there too see how far off I really am on this issue.

I'm thinking just on render at 6400 x 4800 and then just cropping two
separate 800 x 800 detail views.

I did a quick preview of my scene (no media, no antialiasing) and it appears
that bigger image takes more time. Is that true or it it just me??

Jim
> I did a quick preview of my scene (no media, no antialiasing) and it appears
> that bigger image takes more time. Is that true or it it just me??

Are you kidding?

It should be obvious that without aa the render time is directly
proportional to the number of pixels.  Twice the pixel count -> twice
the render time.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, so I just
wanted
> to fling this out there too see how far off I really am on this issue.
>
> I'm thinking just on render at 6400 x 4800 and then just cropping two
> separate 800 x 800 detail views.
>
> I did a quick preview of my scene (no media, no antialiasing) and it
appears
> that bigger image takes more time. Is that true or it it just me??
>
> Jim

do you mean to say that the time does not scale linearly with the size? for
example instead of a 100 pixel image taking 1 second, a 200 pixel image
taking 2 seconds, a 300 pixel taking 3 seconds it's more like 100:1,
200:2.5, and 300:6.25 or something?

i don't know what i'm talking about. just trying to figure out what you're
talking about ;)