POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Image Submission Reality Check : Re: Image Submission Reality Check Server Time
26 Apr 2024 15:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Submission Reality Check
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 10 Sep 2004 16:18:48
Message: <41420c28@news.povray.org>

news:chsq2h$tje$1@chho.imagico.de...

> The memory use does not depend on the render size (except the line
> buffers which are not significant).  So at least without display the
> large render will take the same amount of memory.

Not with radiosity (and perhaps photons, I didn't test).
Here is memory use for the scene below, with and without radiosity:
320 x 240 : 13 Mb (150 kb)
640 x 480 : 30 Mb (190 kb)
1600 x 1200 : 58 Mb (324 kb)
6400 x 4800 : 105 Mb (10 Mb)

Fortunately, the increase isn't proportional, but it's still important, and
this scene is minimal.

global_settings{
    radiosity{error_bound 0.02 count 300 recursion_limit 1}
}
sky_sphere{pigment{rgb x*0.25+y*0.5}}
camera{
  location <0, 4, -10>
  direction 2.2*z
  look_at   0
}
union{
    sphere{y,1}
    plane{-y,0}
    rotate y*45
    texture{pigment{rgb 1}finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1}}
}

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com