POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : gradient bug causing "noise" Server Time
14 May 2024 01:43:46 EDT (-0400)
  gradient bug causing "noise" (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: gradient bug causing "noise"
Date: 20 May 1999 08:24:46
Message: <3743F0E2.98F89786@aol.com>
//BEGIN

/*
May 20, 1999
GRADIENT BUG TEST as seen in POV-Ray for Windows 3.02 and v3.1e
mailto://inversez@aol.com?Subject=PoV-Bug
The 'gradient' is introducing noise into the pigment when aligned
with a flat surface such as the box or ends of a cylinder.
The appearence is similar to the "same surface" problem in CSG.
Also note that when rendered the first time (as when first running
POV-Ray)
that the "noise" is much less evident. It is upon subsequent renders that
it really shows up well, regardless of partial rendering or not.
*/

//Primitive to use in test [1 is sphere, 2 is box, 3 is cylinder]
#declare Shape = 3;

//Use the axis gradients or not [0 is none, 1 is x, 2 is y, 3 is z]
#declare Gradient = 2;

#switch (Shape)
#case (1)
sphere {0,1
#break
#case (2)
box {-1,1
#break
#case (3)
cylinder {-y,y,1
#break
#end
 pigment {
#switch (Gradient)
#case (1)
 	gradient x
      color_map {
 		[0 color rgbf<.35,.55,.75,.333>]
 		[1 color rgbf<.85,.95,1,.999>]
 		}
#break
#case (2)
 	gradient y
      color_map {
 		[0 color rgbf<.35,.55,.75,.333>]
 		[1 color rgbf<.85,.95,1,.999>]
 		}
#break
#case (3)
 	gradient z
      color_map {
 		[0 color rgbf<.35,.55,.75,.333>]
 		[1 color rgbf<.85,.95,1,.999>]
 		}
#break
#else
 rgbf <.8,.9,.95,.8> //non-gradient pigment
#end
 } //pigment
} //box

background {rgb <.55,.7,.85>}

light_source { <2,5,9> color rgb 1 }

camera {
  location  <3,4,-5>
  angle 33
  look_at   <0,0,0>
}

//END

//I posted this here instead of making an official bugreport since I'm
//uncertain whether this is related POV-Ray alone or not.

Post a reply to this message