POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : gradient bug causing "noise" : Re: gradient bug causing "noise" Server Time
18 Jun 2024 08:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gradient bug causing "noise"
From: Ken
Date: 22 May 1999 02:20:34
Message: <37463E6B.D301138C@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Did you render twice? Although, for me, every time after the first render
> when POV-Ray is run on a fresh start the problem occurs always from then
> on.
> I used a [1.01 color rgb<#,#,#>] and got exactly the same result as with a
> 1.0 so this is curious if you actually get a corrected gradient mapping.
> The box by the way shows the x and z gradients also do this.

Bob,

  I went in to my doctor's office one day seeking treatment for some
pain I was experiencing. I described the symptoms to the doctor and
pointed out the the pain was severely amplified when I moved in
certain ways. My doctor responded that I should not make movements
like that anymore if it hurt me so much. I will let you draw your
own analogies from that little anecdote.

 The short term fix for your noted problem is to simply scale the
entire pigment up by 0.01 - 0.00001. My testing indicates that
this is a reliable cure and is preferable to scaling the object
by equivalent amounts which could cause dimensioning problems.

 The effect you are seeing I believe is similar to what is seen
when you have two objects with different pigments lined up
with coincident or overlapping areas. I think Ron already pointed
this out so I'll move along now and leave this to the great
programming gods in the sky to work out for themselves.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net