POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : simple incorrect shading of a bicubic patch example Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:02:34 EDT (-0400)
  simple incorrect shading of a bicubic patch example (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Matthew Bennett
Subject: simple incorrect shading of a bicubic patch example
Date: 2 Oct 1998 19:54:10
Message: <36155992.0@news.povray.org>
Attached is a simple (1k) .pov scene showing the supposed POV 3.1r1 bicubic
patch bug.
It's just a bicubic patch next to a disk with a light source below them and
the camera looking above them.  The disk is dark (in the shade) as would be
expected, but the bicubic patch is lit up as if the light was above it.

If you want to see a 8k jpg of what this renders as, take a look at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~bennett/shadebug.jpg

Feel free to play around with this to see if you can fix something, but I
think it clearly shows a bug in POV 3.1

Matt

--
Computers do what you *tell* them to do, not what you *want* them to do.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'shadebug.pov.txt' (1 KB)

> Attached is a simple (1k) .pov scene showing the supposed POV 3.1r1 bicubic
> patch bug.
> It's just a bicubic patch next to a disk with a light source below them and
> the camera looking above them.  The disk is dark (in the shade) as would be
> expected, but the bicubic patch is lit up as if the light was above it.
>
> If you want to see a 8k jpg of what this renders as, take a look at:
> http://www.btinternet.com/~bennett/shadebug.jpg
>
> Feel free to play around with this to see if you can fix something, but I
> think it clearly shows a bug in POV 3.1

Hmmm - It looks exactly like the problems mentioned in previous posts:
"Re: Help- Unwanted see-through-ness in objects"  and
"Re: Tranlucency and bicubic patches"

I tried, turning the objects, camera, and light_sources all around,
changing textures and so on, but it still showed up consistently.

Philippe Debar wrote:

>I suspected this kind of bug with triangles some times ago : shadows and
>lighting showing on the wrong side of triangles. But I actually have no
>source for proving this.

I tried to see if triangles did it too, but I could not find anything.

One thing I did find, though, was when I made a simple closed
pillow-shaped union of two bicubic patches, and a "tear" on one side
(towards the light_source) allowed a beam of light to shine through the
inside and illuminate a bit of of the surface on the supposedly dark
side.

How about this, though - can you think of any other way of simulating a
back-lit translucent surface? Think about things like an outside view of
a tent with a lantern and some shadows of people inside it. How about
some nice lampshades, especially if it still works with an image mapped
onto it?

-jr-

/* --- delete "spamBgone." to get my real address --- */

Post a reply to this message