POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Installation I/O error Server Time
23 Jun 2024 14:47:27 EDT (-0400)
  Installation I/O error (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Installation I/O error
Date: 29 Sep 1998 16:25:13
Message: <36109957.8DA64D54@peak.edu.ee>
When I try to install POVWin 3.1, the instlallation always gets to 73%
(extracting povray31.hlp) and then displays the following error message:

'An I/O error occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused
by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file'
The installation then exits.
This problem only occurs on my own computer (as far as I know), and was
also present in POVWin 3.1 beta 6b. My previos version (beta 4)
installed OK.
Setting Windows in safe mode doesn't help, nor does installing to
another drive/directory.

POVWin version 3.1 and 3.1beta6b

SYSTEM: 486DX120 16Mb, Windows 95 4.00.950

Post a reply to this message

> When I try to install POVWin 3.1, the instlallation always gets to 73%
> (extracting povray31.hlp) and then displays the following error message:
>
> 'An I/O error occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused
> by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file'
> The installation then exits.
> This problem only occurs on my own computer (as far as I know), and was
> also present in POVWin 3.1 beta 6b. My previos version (beta 4)
> installed OK.
> Setting Windows in safe mode doesn't help, nor does installing to
> another drive/directory.
>
> POVWin version 3.1 and 3.1beta6b
>
> SYSTEM: 486DX120 16Mb, Windows 95 4.00.950

      I had the exact same problem with my installation
and it too occured exactly at the 73% mark..

It took me about 24 hrs before I got a clean install.
Here is the crazy way I finaly got around the problem.

    In desperation to get a working copy of Pov up and
running again I went to povray.org and downloaded
the 3.1b6b version again. I attempted to install it into
a clean directory. It installed to about 25% and hung.
I then, without removing the installed files from the failed
3.1b6b installation, installed the 3.1r1 version on top
of it. It installed clean that time.

    I can't remember how many copies of Pov 3.1r1 I
downloaded and how many failed attempts I made before
I hit upon that solution. It might have been a fluke who
knows. There were several other users that reported
installation problems with the beta versions. I wonder
if there is a borderline bug in the install kit.

My system is running Win 98, a 200 mmx pentium
processor with 64 megs of ram on board.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message