POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Alpha channel with background color Server Time
17 May 2024 09:55:52 EDT (-0400)
  Alpha channel with background color (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Alpha channel with background color
Date: 30 Dec 2011 00:45:06
Message: <web.4efd4f5eb0be2cb585de7b680@news.povray.org>
Why does Output_Alpha=on not work in 3.7 when a background{} is specified?

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Alpha channel with background color
Date: 30 Dec 2011 04:14:14
Message: <4efd80e6$1@news.povray.org>
Le 30/12/2011 06:42, Cousin Ricky nous fit lire :
> Why does Output_Alpha=on not work in 3.7 when a background{} is specified?

Interesting question. Confirmed last night (I was thinking about asking
too!).

And it might be related to the kind of camera (I have tried alternative
type of camera (perspective, and other customs), including the same
scene, and for some +UA works, for other it does not. (these are camera
with a mask, like the omnimax one)

Post a reply to this message

Cousin Ricky <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> Why does Output_Alpha=on not work in 3.7 when a background{} is specified?

  I haven't tested it, but does your background have transparency in its
color map? Because I have this faint recollection that it was changed so
that if it has, it would end up in the final image as such (and consequently
if there's no transparency, no transparency would end up in the final
image).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Cousin Ricky<rickysttATyahooDOTcom>  wrote:
>> Why does Output_Alpha=on not work in 3.7 when a background{} is specified?
>
>    I haven't tested it, but does your background have transparency in its
> color map? Because I have this faint recollection that it was changed so
> that if it has, it would end up in the final image as such (and consequently
> if there's no transparency, no transparency would end up in the final
> image).

Effectively, if I remember correctly, the background now need a filter
or transmit value to allow alpha transparency.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Effectively, if I remember correctly, the background now need a filter
> or transmit value to allow alpha transparency.

Thanks, that works.  I guess it hasn't made it into the documentation yet.

Post a reply to this message