POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : command line limitations Server Time
18 May 2024 11:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  command line limitations (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: PC John
Subject: command line limitations
Date: 11 Jun 2011 03:55:00
Message: <web.4df31f274d71eb0e8a2333330@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I used POV-Ray 3.6.2 as a "photorealistic" renderer for Lexolights, our
OpenGL/OpenSceneGraph-based scene viewer (lexolight.sf.net).

Now, I started to test POV-Ray 3.7 RC3. I found some issues that I want to share
before final 3.7 release.

1. HOME variable is not updated in the registry
   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\CurrentVersion\Windows\Home
   is not updated in the registry after installing 3.7 RC3 and the path
   is still set to the old 3.6.2 installation.

   Updating the HOME will be useful to make applications to find
   the new version.

2. should "Programs" be included in
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Programs\POV-Ray\3.7 ?
   All other applications are in [company]\[appName] dir. I know, there is no
company with POV-Ray.

3. Command-line options limitations:

- I can not render an image on background without showing POV-Ray GUI. This is
perfectly possible with Linux POV-Ray, but not on Windows.

- "/RENDER povFile" is nice, but I can not pass image dimensions, iniFile or
other cmd-line settings to POV-Ray as pvengine wants just one argument of model
name.

- "/EXIT povFile iniFile" is good as iniFile can carry the image dimensions and
other options. However, there are two problems:
(a) there is no way to disable GUI (minor issue)
(b) if the user is running its own instance of POV-Ray, nobody can schedule
/EXIT because it fails with the message that only one instance of POV-Ray is
allowed. Thus, there is no way to render images "on background" once there is
running instance of POV-Ray.

- "/EXIT /NORESTORE povFile iniFile" is nice as it saves the time of loading
unnecessary files if doing "background" rendering. However, empty instance is
saved on the exit and next time, the user starts his session, he gets empty
session.

4. I did not succeed to parse rendering progress on stdout/stderr. If there is a
way, please give me a hint.

If I am missing something, please, point me to a good way. Otherwise, I would be
very happy for any improvement on these limitations.

Thanks. POV-Ray is cool!
John

Post a reply to this message

> 1. HOME variable is not updated in the registry
>     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\CurrentVersion\Windows\Home
>     is not updated in the registry after installing 3.7 RC3 and the path
>     is still set to the old 3.6.2 installation.
>
>     Updating the HOME will be useful to make applications to find
>     the new version.

I guess this will be changed with the release proper.

> 2. should "Programs" be included in
> C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Programs\POV-Ray\3.7 ?
>     All other applications are in [company]\[appName] dir. I know, there is no
> company with POV-Ray.

It depends on whether you install POV-Ray for all users, or for the
current user only.

> 3. Command-line options limitations:
>
> - I can not render an image on background without showing POV-Ray GUI. This is
> perfectly possible with Linux POV-Ray, but not on Windows.

Note that this was already the case with POV-Ray 3.6x, and was actually
done on purpose after some company or companies built their own products
around POV-Ray without giving any credit, let alone informing their
customers that the same render quality can be had for free.

Chances are POV-Ray 3.7 will come with a command-line only version for
Windows again though.

Post a reply to this message

> (a) there is no way to disable GUI (minor issue)
> (b) if the user is running its own instance of POV-Ray, nobody can schedule
> /EXIT because it fails with the message that only one instance of POV-Ray is
> allowed. Thus, there is no way to render images "on background" once there is
> running instance of POV-Ray.

a workaround may be to disable the "Keep Single Instance" option.

Post a reply to this message

>> C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Programs\POV-Ray\3.7 ?
>>     All other applications are in [company]\[appName] dir. I know,
>> there is no
>> company with POV-Ray.
>
> It depends on whether you install POV-Ray for all users, or for the
> current user only.

I think the concern was not about the program files vs app data
issue, but only about the name used under app data. It is probably
difficult to compare this as most other software places only the
user-specific configuration files there, not the program itself.

Post a reply to this message