POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : command line limitations : Re: command line limitations Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:40:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: command line limitations
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jun 2011 11:20:22
Message: <4df4d936$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.06.2011 09:54, schrieb PC John:

> 1. HOME variable is not updated in the registry
>     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\CurrentVersion\Windows\Home
>     is not updated in the registry after installing 3.7 RC3 and the path
>     is still set to the old 3.6.2 installation.
>
>     Updating the HOME will be useful to make applications to find
>     the new version.

I guess this will be changed with the release proper.

> 2. should "Programs" be included in
> C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Programs\POV-Ray\3.7 ?
>     All other applications are in [company]\[appName] dir. I know, there is no
> company with POV-Ray.

It depends on whether you install POV-Ray for all users, or for the
current user only.

> 3. Command-line options limitations:
>
> - I can not render an image on background without showing POV-Ray GUI. This is
> perfectly possible with Linux POV-Ray, but not on Windows.

Note that this was already the case with POV-Ray 3.6x, and was actually
done on purpose after some company or companies built their own products
around POV-Ray without giving any credit, let alone informing their
customers that the same render quality can be had for free.

Chances are POV-Ray 3.7 will come with a command-line only version for
Windows again though.