POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : command line limitations : Re: command line limitations Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: command line limitations
From: PC John
Date: 21 Jun 2011 03:15:00
Message: <web.4e00440adfc674108a2333330@news.povray.org>
> On 11/06/2011 17:54, PC John wrote:
> > - "/RENDER povFile" is nice, but I can not pass image dimensions, iniFile or
> > other cmd-line settings to POV-Ray as pvengine wants just one argument of
> > model name.
>
> You should set the options in an INI file, and pass the INI file to POV.

That is what I tried, but /RENDER accepts only single argument. Passing
"/RENDER model.pov povray.ini" ends with povray's error message and failure to
do the task.

New test: Unfortunately, this is very tricky. "/EXIT model.pov" does not read
povray.ini in the model directory while "/RENDER model.pov" does. Uff. Luckily,
/EXIT accepts more arguments, so I can safely pass "/EXIT model.pov povray.ini".
So, both of them can work for me.

Although it is tricky, I can go through.

> > (b) if the user is running its own instance of POV-Ray, nobody can schedule
> > /EXIT because it fails with the message that only one instance of POV-Ray is
>
> Why not turn off single instance mode then?

Can I do it programmatically? I expect "stupid" users that are able just to
install povray and click on a button in our application. I expect that they are
not able to do any customization of povray.

> > I can not render an image on background without showing POV-Ray GUI
>
> This is intentional.

I see. This gui is actually too complicated for our customers. All they want is
one pov-ray button and to see pov-ray generated image. We are very very happy
with povray on Linux. Do not worry that we will not give POV-Ray a credit.

> > allowed. Thus, there is no way to render images "on background" once there is
> > running instance of POV-Ray.
>
> At least in 3.6, if you set single instance mode and pass /render on the
> command-line, and POV-Ray is *already running*, the render request is
> passed to the *existing instance* and it will then render it. This should
> still work in 3.7, though I haven't checked it recently.

You are right - I expected that what I see is error message, but it is only a
dialog about "One instance *feature*". Hm, the dialog actually blocks the
rendering... and POV-Ray is kept running after the rendering...

> Hence, once POV-Ray has started once (and shown its splash screen etc), you
> can minimize it and provided you turn off the render preview display,
> subsequent requests to render files sent via a command-line should render
> within the existing instance.

Yes, but this is what I do not want. This advice is actually not for me (I am
advanced IT person etc.) but for our users, thus it should be given to doc or I
should visit each person and tell him this.

Seems, that there is no way to minimize it programmatically...

I am from far happy with linux povray. I guess the reasons why you want to keep
POV-Ray gui on Windows. Maybe, the possible compromise could be to enhance the
command line.

Anyway, povray is cool, I am just struggling with its interface.
John