POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : command line limitations : Re: command line limitations Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:02:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: command line limitations
From: Chris Cason
Date: 15 Jun 2011 12:08:10
Message: <4df8d8ea$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/06/2011 17:54, PC John wrote:
> - "/RENDER povFile" is nice, but I can not pass image dimensions, iniFile or
> other cmd-line settings to POV-Ray as pvengine wants just one argument of model
> name.

You should set the options in an INI file, and pass the INI file to POV.

> (b) if the user is running its own instance of POV-Ray, nobody can schedule
> /EXIT because it fails with the message that only one instance of POV-Ray is

Why not turn off single instance mode then?

> I can not render an image on background without showing POV-Ray GUI

This is intentional.

> allowed. Thus, there is no way to render images "on background" once there is
> running instance of POV-Ray.

At least in 3.6, if you set single instance mode and pass /render on the
command-line, and POV-Ray is *already running*, the render request is
passed to the *existing instance* and it will then render it. This should
still work in 3.7, though I haven't checked it recently.

Hence, once POV-Ray has started once (and shown its splash screen etc), you
can minimize it and provided you turn off the render preview display,
subsequent requests to render files sent via a command-line should render
within the existing instance.

-- Chris