POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SSLT hanging for me on the Mac Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  SSLT hanging for me on the Mac (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Edouard
Subject: SSLT hanging for me on the Mac
Date: 30 Apr 2010 08:10:01
Message: <web.4bdac7ccc2f5ffb121619a220@news.povray.org>
I've tried doing some renders of an SSLT object (in my buddha scene), and I'm
getting hangs all the time. If I run one thread the render just stops, if I run
two threads, one stops and then later the second thread stops at another point.

If I change the camera angle, I can sometime get a render to complete. It looks
kinda like the bad block the renderer gets stuck on it at the extreme edge of an
object if that helps at all.

The same thing happens with the 64 bit beta 36 and 37 on the Mac.

A sample of the applications stack when two threads have hung the renderer
includes the following:

    2154 Thread_1032143
      2154 thread_start
        2154 _pthread_start
          2154 thread_proxy
            2154 pov::Task::TaskThread(boost::function0<void> const&)
              2154 pov::TraceTask::Run()
                2154 pov::TraceTask::SimpleSamplingM0()
                  2154 pov::TracePixel::operator()(double, double, double,
double, pov_base::Colour&)
                    2154 pov::Trace::TraceRay(pov::Ray&, pov_base::Colour&,
float, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&, bool)
                      2154 pov::Trace::ComputeTextureColour(pov::Intersection&,
pov_base::Colour&, pov::Ray&, float, bool, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                        2154
pov::Trace::ComputeOneTextureColour(pov_base::Colour&, pov::Texture_Struct*,
std::vector<pov::Texture_Struct*, std::allocator<pov::Texture_Struct*> >&,
pov::Vector3d&, pov::Vector3d&, pov::Ray&, float, pov::Intersection&, bool,
bool, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                          2154
pov::Trace::ComputeLightedTexture(pov_base::Colour&, pov::Texture_Struct*,
std::vector<pov::Texture_Struct*, std::allocator<pov::Texture_Struct*> >&,
pov::Vector3d&, pov::Vector3d&, pov::Ray&, float, pov::Intersection&,
pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                            2154
pov::Trace::ComputeSubsurfaceScattering(pov::Finish_Struct const*, pov::Vector3d
const&, pov::Ray&, pov::Vector3d const&, pov_base::RGBColour&, double,
pov::ObjectBase*, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                              1210 log
                              889
pov::Trace::ComputeSingleScatteringContribution(pov::Intersection const&,
pov::Vector3d, pov::Vector3d, double, double, pov_base::RGBColour&, double,
pov::ObjectBase*, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                                454
pov::Trace::ComputeSingleScatteringContribution(pov::Intersection const&,
pov::Vector3d, pov::Vector3d, double, double, pov_base::RGBColour&, double,
pov::ObjectBase*, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                                435
pov::RandomDoubleSequence::Generator::operator()()
                              55 dyld_stub_log
    2154 Thread_1032144
[...]
                              1223 log
                              894
pov::Trace::ComputeSingleScatteringContribution(pov::Intersection const&,
pov::Vector3d, pov::Vector3d, double, double, pov_base::RGBColour&, double,
pov::ObjectBase*, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                                450
pov::Trace::ComputeSingleScatteringContribution(pov::Intersection const&,
pov::Vector3d, pov::Vector3d, double, double, pov_base::RGBColour&, double,
pov::ObjectBase*, pov::Trace::TraceTicket&)
                                444
pov::RandomDoubleSequence::Generator::operator()()
                              37 dyld_stub_log

which at least looks like it's busy doing something, and not deadlocked
somewhere...

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message

> I've tried doing some renders of an SSLT object (in my buddha scene), and I'm
> getting hangs all the time. If I run one thread the render just stops, if I run
> two threads, one stops and then later the second thread stops at another point.

 From the stack trace, I'd assume that POV-Ray doesn't really hang, but
is just pretty busy. Maybe lower quality settings will get you forward?

Unfortunately, SSLT is still at a very early stage, and not exactly in
the focus of current development efforts these days.

Post a reply to this message

> > I've tried doing some renders of an SSLT object (in my buddha scene), and I'm
> > getting hangs all the time. If I run one thread the render just stops, if I run
> > two threads, one stops and then later the second thread stops at another point.
>
>  From the stack trace, I'd assume that POV-Ray doesn't really hang, but
> is just pretty busy. Maybe lower quality settings will get you forward?
>
> Unfortunately, SSLT is still at a very early stage, and not exactly in
> the focus of current development efforts these days.

It hangs when my settings are "subsurface { samples 1, 1 }", so I think it's
gotten stuck with something. When I try to quit POV-Ray I get a crash.

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message