POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SSLT hanging for me on the Mac : Re: SSLT hanging for me on the Mac Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT hanging for me on the Mac
From: clipka
Date: 17 May 2010 06:21:56
Message: <4bf118c4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.05.2010 03:32, schrieb Edouard:

> Is it the loop with the comment "calculate s_prime_out"?

Yup.

> It looks like the random number can simply be scaled so that you don't need the
> loop at all...

No. The proper solution is much simpler: Re-rolling the dice was the
wrong thing to do in the first place; such an event would be equivalent
to a photon happening to pass through unscattered and unabsorbed, so
should be dealt with accordingly.

> At the very worst, can you make a change to ensure it doesn't hang - some sort
> of bailout condition? Do you want me to add a bug to flyspray for it?

Never mind. There's already a patch waiting to be released with beta 38.