POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Load/Save Question Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:12:56 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity Load/Save Question (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Edouard
Subject: Radiosity Load/Save Question
Date: 27 Apr 2010 21:35:00
Message: <web.4bd7903db302455721619a220@news.povray.org>
Hi - I guess this is the right place to ask questions about radiosity in 3.7,
right?

I rendered a scene overnight that saved the radiosity data to a cache using the
+RFO flag, then went to do some more renders this morning loading that cached
data with +RFI.

I can lower several settings in the "global_settings { radiosity { ... } }"
block, and the render still looks as good as the previous overnight one, which
indicates POV is reading the cache data and using it.

That's great, but the renders are still really really slow. The overnight one
was about 7 hours, and the ones with low radiosity settings, but reading the
cache, look like they will take several hours themselves.

If I turn off the reading of the cache, the renders go very fast (about 2
minutes) but look pretty bad (which I expected).

Are there some settings in the global_settings { radiosity { ... } }" block that
would let me have a fast render by mostly using the cached data? Or is the
amount of data in the cache file from the high quality pass the bottleneck (the
cache file is about 88MB)?

My renders are 1280x720 with AA turned off. I do move the camera a little bit
each render (the same as focal blur in POV would do).

Sorry if I'm missing any information in this post to help with an answer - I
guess I'm not really sure how the radiosity cache works in POV enough to know
exactly what to ask...

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message