POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Load/Save Question : Re: Radiosity Load/Save Question Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:48:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Load/Save Question
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Apr 2010 04:55:01
Message: <web.4bd7f706400e5021ae92d9930@news.povray.org>
"Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:

> Are there some settings in the global_settings { radiosity { ... } }" block that
> would let me have a fast render by mostly using the cached data?

Thanks for asking this question; the same slowness has always puzzled me too (in
v3.6.)

And thanks to Clipka for the explanation. I didn't know that using the cached
data also took time and was non-trivial. I always thought I was doing something
basically wrong when loading a rad file; now I understand.

BTW, in v3.6.1 on Windows, when radiosity is used, it seems that a rad file(?)
is saved to disc even when it isn't asked to be. (The file has the extension
..rca with the scene's default file name.) Has this been corrected? (When
*purposely* saving a rad file, the file shows up without the .rca extension.)

Also, when purposely saving a rad file in v3.7 or the betas, does a file type
need to be added to the file name? As in, save_file "my_rad_file.*something*? In
v3.6, it didn't seem to be necessary, but the docs have always been unclear
about this.

Ken