POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Load/Save Question : Re: Radiosity Load/Save Question Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Load/Save Question
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 28 Apr 2010 04:28:16
Message: <4bd7f1a0$1@news.povray.org>

> I rendered a scene overnight that saved the radiosity data to a cache
> using the +RFO flag, then went to do some more renders this morning
>
> I can lower several settings in the "global_settings { radiosity { ... }
> }" block, and the render still looks as good as the previous overnight
> one, which indicates POV is reading the cache data and using it.
>
> That's great, but the renders are still really really slow. The
> overnight one was about 7 hours, and the ones with low radiosity
> settings, but reading the cache, look like they will take several hours
> themselves.

   Did you remember to use always_sample off on the reading pass? Also, from
my experience, it is best to make sure you have the same nearest_count,
error_bound and recursion_limit. If you want it even faster, try reducing
count on the second pass: I found that 1/10 of the count on the first pass,
renders very quick without losing much quality.

   BTW, I'm just testing this new load/save mechanism, and I'm missing a way
to know within the SDL if I'm loading or saving, to automatically adapt
textures and other details... anyone knows if this is possible?

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org