POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 (Message 15 to 24 of 104)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
Date: 23 Aug 2009 06:47:31
Message: <4a911e43@news.povray.org>
> Warp schrieb:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >> In 3.6, however, the rgb 0.5 object (B) will look way darker: POV-Ray
> >> will have output "127"
> >
> >   You mean that POV-Ray 3.6 didn't gamma-correct the output at all, while
> > POV-Ray 3.7 now does?

> I mean that 3.6 didn't do it /by default/ (which is what you've been
> asking about all the time).

> >   Does that mean there's now a new option to set the gamma correction of
> > the created image (the actual pixels, not just some header data in the
> > image file format)? Is there a way to turn this off, if one so desires
> > (eg. if you really *want* the pixels to be exactly (127,127,127) and
> > nothing else)?

> Yup. "File_Gamma" is the magic ini file option. Set it to 1.0 and you'll
> get linear pixel values, plus (for PNG and HDR) a header saying that the
> data is linear. Set it to 2.2 and you'll get gamma pre-corrected pixel
> values, plus a header saying that the data is pre-corrected for a gamma
> of 2.2. (The latter is highly recommended though, as not all viewers -
> browsers included - support linear image data.)

> Note that this makes it impossible to deliberately mess with gamma for
> artistic effect in POV-Ray when you use PNG output and all your image
> processing software handles gAMA chunks properly: You can only affect
> the encoding of pixels - and thereby the dynamic ranges of highlights
> vs. shadows - but not their interpretation.

> At least that's the theory as known to me. I never tested in detail
> whether it indeed works exactly as intended.

  Well, this clears things up a bit. I'm still not 100% happy that old
scenes will render differently by default, but I suppose it's an acceptable
change.

  I highly recommend writing a concise and clear explanation of this in the
"what's new in POV-Ray 3.7" section when the final version is published.
Else it's only going to cause a lot of confusion.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Well, this clears things up a bit. I'm still not 100% happy that old
> scenes will render differently by default, but I suppose it's an acceptable
> change.

/That/, as I mentioned as well, is only the case if they don't have a
"#version" directive, or when you're rendering to a "gamma-aware" file
format.

>   I highly recommend writing a concise and clear explanation of this in the
> "what's new in POV-Ray 3.7" section when the final version is published.
> Else it's only going to cause a lot of confusion.

Boy, how /I/ long for a concise and clear explanation of gamma! Output
gamma is only the tip of the iceberg.

Try feeding POV-Ray output into POV-Ray again as a texture image -
that's where things appear to get /really/ hairy!

Post a reply to this message