POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SSLT RC3 and RC4 Server Time
30 Apr 2024 15:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  SSLT RC3 and RC4 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Stephen
Subject: SSLT RC3 and RC4
Date: 5 Mar 2012 12:17:16
Message: <4f54f51c$1@news.povray.org>
I have been experimenting with the SSLT in RC4 using scenes I built in RC3.
The image linked below is the Lucy mesh without using SSLT.
http://i.imgur.com/8Nnor.jpg

This one is using the same material but with RC4 SLT.
http://i.imgur.com/GAfXm.jpg

And this is using the same material and settings with RC3 SLT.
http://i.imgur.com/GF05j.jpg

I actually prefer the RC3 image.
When experimenting with the translucency and sampling I reached a point
where I was using very high sampling 2048, 100. The image below was
stopped after almost 8 hours. It is a different material it uses a
texture map instead of a colour map.
http://i.imgur.com/WcRME.jpg
The detail is very hard to make out so that is why I upped the samples.

for comparison. I made this about a year ago.
http://i.imgur.com/elaf0.jpg

Comments welcome.

Maybe the Lucy mesh is not suitable for using translucency, it is very
big and I had to reduce the size to work with it and I have no idea what
it is like inside. I will experiment some more with another mesh,
probably this one.
http://i.imgur.com/48p9m.jpg

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I have been experimenting with the SSLT in RC4 using scenes I built in RC3.
> The image linked below is the Lucy mesh without using SSLT.
> http://i.imgur.com/8Nnor.jpg
>
> This one is using the same material but with RC4 SLT.
> http://i.imgur.com/GAfXm.jpg
>
> And this is using the same material and settings with RC3 SLT.
> http://i.imgur.com/GF05j.jpg
>
> I actually prefer the RC3 image.
> When experimenting with the translucency and sampling I reached a point
> where I was using very high sampling 2048, 100. The image below was
> stopped after almost 8 hours. It is a different material it uses a
> texture map instead of a colour map.
> http://i.imgur.com/WcRME.jpg
> The detail is very hard to make out so that is why I upped the samples.
>

> for comparison. I made this about a year ago.
> http://i.imgur.com/elaf0.jpg
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Maybe the Lucy mesh is not suitable for using translucency, it is very
> big and I had to reduce the size to work with it and I have no idea what
> it is like inside. I will experiment some more with another mesh,
> probably this one.
> http://i.imgur.com/48p9m.jpg

The SSLT in RC4 let the actual pigment show, while, with the RC3
version, it was totaly ignored. The appareant colour was totaly
determined by the SSLT parameters.
This explain the huge difference between the RC3 and RC4 results.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> The SSLT in RC4 let the actual pigment show, while, with the RC3
> version, it was totaly ignored. The appareant colour was totaly
> determined by the SSLT parameters.
> This explain the huge difference between the RC3 and RC4 results.

Yes, you are not wrong. :-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> The SSLT in RC4 let the actual pigment show, while, with the RC3
>> version, it was totaly ignored. The appareant colour was totaly
>> determined by the SSLT parameters.
>> This explain the huge difference between the RC3 and RC4 results.
>
> Yes, you are not wrong. :-)

And that's why (IMHO) RC4 method is by far better :-) True enough it's a
slightly different learning curve (witness my struggles with the rose
petals) ... in essence we are talking apples and oranges here when
trying to compare the two methods.

Post a reply to this message

>>> The SSLT in RC4 let the actual pigment show, while, with the RC3
>>> version, it was totaly ignored. The appareant colour was totaly
>>> determined by the SSLT parameters.
>>> This explain the huge difference between the RC3 and RC4 results.
>>
>> Yes, you are not wrong. :-)
>>

> And that's why (IMHO) RC4 method is by far better :-) True enough it's a
> slightly different learning curve (witness my struggles with the rose
> petals) ... in essence we are talking apples and oranges here when
> trying to compare the two methods.

Not comparing apples and oranges, it's rather like comparing apples and
letuce...

Alain