POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 02:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? (Message 6 to 15 of 35)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation?
Date: 6 Sep 2009 18:18:58
Message: <4aa43552$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> Likewise, how to pre-gamma-correct color values from
>> other programs (such as color pickers).
>
>   About that... I wonder if POV-Ray should offer some kind of function to
> do that, for convenience. In the same way as eg. degrees() and radians()
> exist for convenience, even though they don't really save a whole lot of
> work compared to if they didn't exist.

I think that definitely yes, POV-Ray should have such a feature. It is
perfectly possible to roll your own macro to do that, but if POV-Ray is
going the full way for proper gamma handling, it should - I'd even say
/must/ - provide some standard procedure to do it, if only to make a
clear statement along the lines of "yes, /this/ is the right way to deal
with it". And I'd go as far as to say that it should work without having
to include a particular file, so it should be a built-in language
contruct, not just a macro.

Post a reply to this message

"clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> schreef in bericht

> I think that definitely yes, POV-Ray should have such a feature. It is
> perfectly possible to roll your own macro to do that, but if POV-Ray is
> going the full way for proper gamma handling, it should - I'd even say
> /must/ - provide some standard procedure to do it, if only to make a clear
> statement along the lines of "yes, /this/ is the right way to deal with
> it". And I'd go as far as to say that it should work without having to
> include a particular file, so it should be a built-in language contruct,
> not just a macro.

Sven Littkovski's neat little "POV-Ray Color Picker" (2006; version 2.0) is
a good example of such a picker. I use it quite a lot and I recommend it
warmly. Built into POV-Ray would be a nice addition.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

>> And I'd go as far as to say that it should work without having to
>> include a particular file, so it should be a built-in language contruct,
>> not just a macro.
>
> Sven Littkovski's neat little "POV-Ray Color Picker" (2006; version 2.0) is
> a good example of such a picker. I use it quite a lot and I recommend it
> warmly. Built into POV-Ray would be a nice addition.

Well, I wasn't thinking about a built-in color picker, but a built-in
language syntax for gamma conversion.

Of course having its own built-in color picker would be a neat feature
(and I do second this idea), but for instance on Unix systems, where
POV-Ray does not come with an "IDE", a feature built into the SDL to
perform gamma conversion math would still be required.

Post a reply to this message