POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? : Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? Server Time
6 Jul 2024 04:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation?
From: clipka
Date: 6 Sep 2009 18:18:58
Message: <4aa43552$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> Likewise, how to pre-gamma-correct color values from
>> other programs (such as color pickers).
>
>   About that... I wonder if POV-Ray should offer some kind of function to
> do that, for convenience. In the same way as eg. degrees() and radians()
> exist for convenience, even though they don't really save a whole lot of
> work compared to if they didn't exist.

I think that definitely yes, POV-Ray should have such a feature. It is
perfectly possible to roll your own macro to do that, but if POV-Ray is
going the full way for proper gamma handling, it should - I'd even say
/must/ - provide some standard procedure to do it, if only to make a
clear statement along the lines of "yes, /this/ is the right way to deal
with it". And I'd go as far as to say that it should work without having
to include a particular file, so it should be a built-in language
contruct, not just a macro.