POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Help with SDL for Bouncing Ball Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:05:45 EDT (-0400)
  Help with SDL for Bouncing Ball (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Help with SDL for Bouncing Ball
Date: 27 Dec 2016 17:35:00
Message: <web.5862ebe4a2841af780403a200@news.povray.org>
The subject of creating a "simple" animation of a bouncing ball recently came
up, and as I looked into it, and considered how to do this, it is apparently
less simple than I thought it would be.

I would imagine that a critical factor in making the animation work out well
would be to find the total time for the ball to (practically) come to rest, and
then define the number of frames in the animation based on that.

Perhaps then one could work out the time per fall/bounce, the heights,
velocities, positions, etc. in a fairly straightforward manner.

I think for a good animation, there would need to be a good way to handle the
squashing of the ball and the deceleration prior to restoring the ball to a
sphere and resuming the bouncing cycle.
Probably define a percentage squash factor and use that times the radius to
establish the 'zero' height point.

I searched around for a good thread, because I figured that surely someone had
done something so basic - but there were no example scenes that I found, and
most people were using particle systems of some sort to make more complicated /
more general animations.

I was wondering if anyone had any practical and concrete advice on how to handle
the various parts of the animation, and how to organize the code in a sensible
manner.

I'm traveling and juggling a lot of metaphorical balls at the moment, so it may
not be until next week that a get a chance to sit down, gather my wits about me,
and hammer out some semi-functional SDL, but at least I was hoping to read some
comments advice, and code snippets that would set me on the right track from the
start.

Thanks!   :)

Post a reply to this message

Le 27/12/2016 à 23:32, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> The subject of creating a "simple" animation of a bouncing ball recently came
> up, and as I looked into it, and considered how to do this, it is apparently
> less simple than I thought it would be.
>
> I would imagine that a critical factor in making the animation work out well
> would be to find the total time for the ball to (practically) come to rest, and
> then define the number of frames in the animation based on that.
>
> Perhaps then one could work out the time per fall/bounce, the heights,
> velocities, positions, etc. in a fairly straightforward manner.
>
> I think for a good animation, there would need to be a good way to handle the
> squashing of the ball and the deceleration prior to restoring the ball to a
> sphere and resuming the bouncing cycle.
> Probably define a percentage squash factor and use that times the radius to
> establish the 'zero' height point.
>
> I searched around for a good thread, because I figured that surely someone had
> done something so basic - but there were no example scenes that I found, and
> most people were using particle systems of some sort to make more complicated /
> more general animations.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any practical and concrete advice on how to handle
> the various parts of the animation, and how to organize the code in a sensible
> manner.
>
> I'm traveling and juggling a lot of metaphorical balls at the moment, so it may
> not be until next week that a get a chance to sit down, gather my wits about me,
> and hammer out some semi-functional SDL, but at least I was hoping to read some
> comments advice, and code snippets that would set me on the right track from the
> start.
>

> Thanks!   :)

Does the ball really need to be seen deformed ? Can you consider a
billiard (pool) ball, or a bowling ball ?

Rule of animation & cartoon: when cutting a tree with an axe, do not
bother with the frame on which the axe meet the tree.

There was a bouncing ball in the scene of povray: boing , but you will
need any of 3.1 up to 3.6.1 version (of particular interest
scenes/animation/boing/bounce.pov )

Post a reply to this message