POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Help with SDL for Bouncing Ball : Re: Help with SDL for Bouncing Ball Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with SDL for Bouncing Ball
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Dec 2016 18:20:00
Message: <web.5862f651ccfba4d980403a200@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Does the ball really need to be seen deformed ? Can you consider a
> billiard (pool) ball, or a bowling ball ?

No, of course not - a preliminary version could use a perfectly elastic
collision with a non-deforming sphere, but I think that the deformation would
look nice, especially at close range and slow speeds

> Rule of animation & cartoon: when cutting a tree with an axe, do not
> bother with the frame on which the axe meet the tree.

OK - good to know - That was certainly a concern of mine.   I suppose that might
greatly simplify the task and shorten the number of frames required.

> There was a bouncing ball in the scene of povray: boing , but you will
> need any of 3.1 up to 3.6.1 version (of particular interest
> scenes/animation/boing/bounce.pov )

Thank you very much for that!  :)
Admittedly, I often forget to look in the /scenes subdirectories where there are
samples scenes, but as it's not there anyway, I found a copy here:
http://code.metager.de/source/xref/povray/3.6.1/scenes/animations/boing/boing1.pov

I'll give it a look over and see what I can work out.

(It's always a joy to have so many POV-Ray experts available who in turn have so
much experience and so many references and resources readily available)