POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : 3d fractal animation with error ? Server Time
2 May 2024 12:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  3d fractal animation with error ? (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: WaveMaster
Subject: 3d fractal animation with error ?
Date: 21 Feb 2007 20:20:01
Message: <web.45dcee6c2c44236a2e80988e0@news.povray.org>
The following example of a 3D-fractal animation does not work as expected.

The animation rotates a 3D-fractal around the y-axis. When you render the
animation (25 fps), you will see a 3D-fractal, rotating around the Y-axis,
but additionally you will see an inner move/flow of the fractal itself.
This inner-move makes a jump in speed and direction when you reach a
special position. This happens between frame 535 and frame 536 of an
animation with 4000 frames.
Between frame 535 and 536, the inner-move of the fractal is suddenly
increased
and the direction of the inner-move is reversed. Too see this effect, render
an animation from frame 500 up to frame 560 with a resolution of at least
720x576 with Anti-Alias 0.3 on. (PovRay 3.6.1.c Windows version)

How can I suppress/avoid this strange change in speed and direction of the
inner move/flow of fractal ??

Is there an error in the 3D-fractal calculation ??

Full example:

// Insert in povray.ini
Initial_Frame = 1
Final_Frame = 4000
Cyclic_Animation = on
Subset_Start_Frame= 500
Subset_End_Frame=560

#include "chars.inc"
#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "shapes.inc"
#include "shapes2.inc"
#include "shapesq.inc"
#include "stones.inc"
#include "stones1.inc"
#include "stones2.inc"
#include "stars.inc"
#include "skies.inc"
#include "metals.inc"

global_settings {
  number_of_waves 10
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  max_trace_level 10
  adc_bailout 0.006
  max_intersections 80
  photons {
    count 40000
    media 100
    gather 30, 120
    autostop 0
    jitter .4
  }
}

camera{
  location <0, -66,-650> // position of camera <X Y Z>
  sky y
  up <0, 1, 0>           // which way is +up <X Y Z>
  right <-1.77 0.0 0.0>  // which way is +right <X Y Z> and aspect ratio
  look_at <0.0, 0, 0>    // point center of view at this point <X Y Z>
}

light_source{
  <0,-66,-380>
  color rgb 1.5
}

julia_fractal{
  <-0.5664, 0.5106, 0.0224, -0.3024>

  precision 50
  max_iteration 38
  quaternion
  sqr
  hollow on
  texture {
    pigment{
      rgb <1,1.0,1.0>
    }
    finish {
      ambient 0.05
      metallic 0.4
    }
  }

  rotate <-2,19,0>
  rotate <0,0,-10>
  scale <250, 250, 1000>

  rotate<0,90+clock*360*1,0>
}

Post a reply to this message

Perhaps it's just an aliasing problem? Try increasing the precision
to see what happens.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"WaveMaster" <nos### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> The following example of a 3D-fractal animation does not work as expected.
>
> The animation rotates a 3D-fractal around the y-axis. When you render the
> animation (25 fps), you will see a 3D-fractal, rotating around the Y-axis,
> but additionally you will see an inner move/flow of the fractal itself.
> This inner-move makes a jump in speed and direction when you reach a
> special position. This happens between frame 535 and frame 536 of an
> animation with 4000 frames.
> Between frame 535 and 536, the inner-move of the fractal is suddenly
> increased
> and the direction of the inner-move is reversed. Too see this effect, render
> an animation from frame 500 up to frame 560 with a resolution of at least
> 720x576 with Anti-Alias 0.3 on. (PovRay 3.6.1.c Windows version)
>
> How can I suppress/avoid this strange change in speed and direction of the
> inner move/flow of fractal ??
>
> Is there an error in the 3D-fractal calculation ??

Hmm, this might just be nonsense spouting, but my theory is that it's the
Western-movie effect: any chariot/wagon's wheel which moves by more than
half the distance to the next spoke (in a single frame), will look like it
turns in reverse. You are scaling your object more in x than in z, which
means the rotation rate will appear to be non-uniform. If you scaled it in
the same way on all axes the effect might disappear.

Oh, and stones.inc already calls stones1 and stones2, btw.

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
> #include "metals.inc"
>
> global_settings {
>   number_of_waves 10
>   assumed_gamma 1.0
>   max_trace_level 10
>   adc_bailout 0.006
>   max_intersections 80
>   photons {
>     count 40000
>     media 100
>     gather 30, 120
>     autostop 0
>     jitter .4
>   }
> }
>
> camera{
>   location <0, -66,-650> // position of camera <X Y Z>
>   sky y
>   up <0, 1, 0>           // which way is +up <X Y Z>
>   right <-1.77 0.0 0.0>  // which way is +right <X Y Z> and aspect ratio
>   look_at <0.0, 0, 0>    // point center of view at this point <X Y Z>

To increase the precision does not solve the problem.

I suppose, when the camera position hits the shape of the fractal
(As soon as I am inside the fractal), the calculation of the fractal
data changes and the inner move also.

Why can I not see the Wheel-effect as long as I am outside the shape of
the fractal?? And why does the wheel-effect have an effect on the whole
fractal?
(the inner move/flow changes for the whole fractal)

Post a reply to this message