POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : 3d fractal animation with error ? : Re: 3d fractal animation with error ? Server Time
17 May 2024 04:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d fractal animation with error ?
From: Grassblade
Date: 9 Apr 2007 07:30:02
Message: <web.461a228bb9adab21880c2f80@news.povray.org>
"WaveMaster" <nos### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Facts:
>
> The white fractal has a z-scale by 1000, the new green fractal has a z-scale
> by 900. The rest stays identical. Both fractals have a symmetrical
> y-translation by +/-135 units.
>
> If the inner move is made by the "wheel effect", then both fractals should
> change the inner move on different positions/in different directions. But
> as you can see, the inner move changes at the same position in both
> fractals.
>
> The second example exchanges only the two fractals in the y-direction. And
> again, both fractals change the inner move at the same position!!
>
> Question:
>
> Can this facts be explained by the wheel effect??
> For me, there is an error in the fractal calculation!!

I'm not sure it proves anything, actually. Could there be a bug in how
POV-ray handles Julias? Certainly! It wouldn't be the first time. You are
saying that two wheels, one smaller and one bigger but with spokes at the
same relative angles, wouldn't display the same "wheel effect" as their
rotation speed increased. But the wheel effect is determined by the angular
velocity of the rotation: in your scene that is determined solely by the
rotation of the clock, as angular velocity is independent of radius.
Consequently both scenes display the same behaviour.
I believe that in order to overcome the problem you need to have smaller
steps the closer you get to the fractal. Unfortunately there is no "fixed
step" rotation that can avoid the effect, AFAIK.