POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation beginner Server Time
17 May 2024 04:47:38 EDT (-0400)
  Animation beginner (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: haysk
Subject: Animation beginner
Date: 22 Oct 2006 01:50:01
Message: <web.453b054fff3aef1ac1f4e3640@news.povray.org>
hi there,
I've been using Milkshape, PoseRay, and POVRay to do some rendering of still
images, but I want to go on and render some animation.
I have POVRay 3.6 and Milkshape 3D 1.7.10 (a low poly modeler that supports
skeletal animations)
So, I was wondering how to start doing animations. From what I've seen, it
looks as if you need to actually code everything in POVRay. Is there any
way around that? Are there any pre-renderers such as PoseRay that are free
that support lights and other effects,such as fog, that also supports
skeletal animations?
If there isn't, can somebody point me to a tutorial that is very good for
beginners?
thanks

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:44:47 EDT, "haysk" <hay### [at] hughesnet> wrote:

>hi there,
>I've been using Milkshape, PoseRay, and POVRay to do some rendering of still
>images, but I want to go on and render some animation.
>I have POVRay 3.6 and Milkshape 3D 1.7.10 (a low poly modeler that supports
>skeletal animations)
>So, I was wondering how to start doing animations. From what I've seen, it
>looks as if you need to actually code everything in POVRay. Is there any
>way around that? Are there any pre-renderers such as PoseRay that are free
>that support lights and other effects,such as fog, that also supports
>skeletal animations?
>If there isn't, can somebody point me to a tutorial that is very good for
>beginners?
>thanks

The whole point of Povray is you do the coding in it. Poser can do animations,
lights etc. (I don't think that it does fogs)
To create an animation using Povray and Milkshape (I'm guessing as I've never
used it) you create and export a series of meshes in Milkshape. Convert them in
PoseRay to Povray include files then in Povray build a scene around the mesh.
Generally I use the first mesh to get started. After that you create an
animation in Povray using the clock or frame_number variables to render the
series of meshes in your scene.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: David Cuny
Date: 27 Oct 2006 14:30:01
Message: <web.45424fd01840f3b9f3706d9d0@news.povray.org>
There are a number of animation packages that will render using POV-Ray. One
that appeared recently on the POV main page is Bishop3d:

http://www.bishop3d.com

John VanSickle has a SSS macro suite, and a modeler (that supports bones) as
well. You still have to deal with the command line, but John's done will
with it (at least with this IRTC animation submissions).

http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm
http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/lionsnake.htm

I've seen a number of other projects around, so Google should be helpful
here.

As someone mentioned, POV-Ray is mainly built for people who want to use the
command line interface. If you want a GUI-based raytracer, you might have a
look at Art of Illusion, which supports bones and morphs. It doesn't export
to POV, but has its own built-in raytracer:

http://aoi.sourceforge.net

Blender's another option, although the learning curve can be pretty steep.
In addition to the default scanline renderer, it's also got a builtin
raytracer. It can also work with external raytracers such as Yafray
(http://www.yafray.org), Sunflow (http://sunflow.sourceforge.net) and POV:

http://www.blender3d.org

You might also check out JPatch. It's a work in progress, but has usable
bones and morph based animation. Instead of using POV-esque primitives, it
uses splines for modeling (built into the program) along the lines of
Animation:Master and exports the results to POV-Ray. That means you'll have
to rebuild all your models, and learn a new tool as well:

http://www.jpatch.com

There have been IRTC submissions using most of these tools (AoI, Blender,
JPatch). But it's not how most people choose to use POV.