POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animated Model render flickering Server Time
18 May 2024 19:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Animated Model render flickering (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: sacredblack
Subject: Animated Model render flickering
Date: 2 May 2006 05:25:01
Message: <web.4457243449bbdcf3c36de1cf0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

This is my first post but I have used POVRay since the DKB (is that right ?)
days for all sorts.

I've come across this problem before but for the life of me I can't remember
if there is a cure.

The Problem: I'm doing a spinning object towards camera animation of about
2000 frames. The object is quite small to start with. The object is
reasonably complex and therefore all the small polygons flicker due to
there size (we are talking probably only a pixel at this stage). The
animation is fine once it starts to fill the frame.

Any ideas on how to get around this one ?

I've fiddled with the render qualities but with no luck - I did improve it
by turning of reflections but I WANT reflections.

I'm using POVRay 3.6 (I'm sure it'd be the same on all versions though) and
I've been converting the rendered TGA files into a
uncompressed AVI - so compression artefects aren't the problem.

Cheers,

Steve.

Post a reply to this message

> This is my first post but I have used POVRay since the DKB (is that right
> ?) days for all sorts.
>
> I've come across this problem before but for the life of me I can't
> remember if there is a cure.
>
> The Problem: I'm doing a spinning object towards camera animation of about
> 2000 frames. The object is quite small to start with. The object is
> reasonably complex and therefore all the small polygons flicker due to
> there size (we are talking probably only a pixel at this stage). The
> animation is fine once it starts to fill the frame.
>
> Any ideas on how to get around this one ?
>
> I've fiddled with the render qualities but with no luck - I did improve it
> by turning of reflections but I WANT reflections.
>
> I'm using POVRay 3.6 (I'm sure it'd be the same on all versions though)
> and I've been converting the rendered TGA files into a
> uncompressed AVI - so compression artefects aren't the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve.

Hi Steve,

A trick that I personally have used before is to average frames.
Either use a linear average so every frame contribute the same amount to the
resulting frame, or use a sin-based average.

Linear:

(Frame 1 + Frame 2 + Frame 3) / 3 = new frame

Sin based:

(sin(45) *Frame 1 + sin(90) * Frame 2 + sin(45)*Frame 3) / 2.41 = new frame

--
Ger

Post a reply to this message