POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animated Model render flickering : Re: Animated Model render flickering Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:37:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated Model render flickering
From: Ger
Date: 2 May 2006 05:52:31
Message: <44572bde@news.povray.org>
sacredblack wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first post but I have used POVRay since the DKB (is that right
> ?) days for all sorts.
>
> I've come across this problem before but for the life of me I can't
> remember if there is a cure.
>
> The Problem: I'm doing a spinning object towards camera animation of about
> 2000 frames. The object is quite small to start with. The object is
> reasonably complex and therefore all the small polygons flicker due to
> there size (we are talking probably only a pixel at this stage). The
> animation is fine once it starts to fill the frame.
>
> Any ideas on how to get around this one ?
>
> I've fiddled with the render qualities but with no luck - I did improve it
> by turning of reflections but I WANT reflections.
>
> I'm using POVRay 3.6 (I'm sure it'd be the same on all versions though)
> and I've been converting the rendered TGA files into a
> uncompressed AVI - so compression artefects aren't the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve.

Hi Steve,

A trick that I personally have used before is to average frames.
Either use a linear average so every frame contribute the same amount to the
resulting frame, or use a sin-based average.

Linear:

(Frame 1 + Frame 2 + Frame 3) / 3 = new frame

Sin based:

(sin(45) *Frame 1 + sin(90) * Frame 2 + sin(45)*Frame 3) / 2.41 = new frame

--
Ger