POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation Control (time frames I Guess) Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  Animation Control (time frames I Guess) (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Marc Champagne
Subject: Animation Control (time frames I Guess)
Date: 13 Sep 2003 23:14:20
Message: <Xns93F5EBFDF15EFPOVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
Hi again!

During an animation sequence, if an object is to:

    	do something for 2 seconds
    	stay idle for 3 seconds
    	do something for 3 seconds

What method or methods have any of you used in your code for
this type of control?

Assuming:

    	+kff???
    	+ki0 (default)
    	+kf1 (default)
    	And that we encode the final animation at 25 fps.

Would one use something like this to figure out where in time
we are?

#declare T = frame_number / 25 ;

#if ( T<2 | ( T>5 & T<8 ) )
    	do something
#end

This seems obvious but maybe there are other proven
techniques one could use.

Thanks

--
Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

Post a reply to this message

"Marc Champagne" <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...

> During an animation sequence, if an object is to:
>
>     do something for 2 seconds
>     stay idle for 3 seconds
>     do something for 3 seconds
>
> Assuming:
>
>     +kff???
>     +ki0 (default)
>     +kf1 (default)
>     And that we encode the final animation at 25 fps.
>
> Would one use something like this to figure out where in time
> we are?
>
> #declare T = frame_number / 25 ;
>
> #if ( T<2 | ( T>5 & T<8 ) )
>     do something
> #end

Seems okay to me. There's #range, used in #switch directive, that I might
use for this kind of purpose too. Goes like so:

#switch (T)
#range (0,2)
/* do first thing */
#break
#range (5,8)
/* do second thing */
#break
#end

Except this wouldn't prevent the exact values 2, 5 and 8 from being taken
into account; unlike your #if directive method, which I'd say is perfectly
fine in that particular example. You just don't need the parenthesis around
T>5&T<8 for it to work right, I believe.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in

>> "Marc Champagne" <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote in
>> message news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
>>
>> During an animation sequence, if an object is to:
>>
>>     do something for 2 seconds
>>     stay idle for 3 seconds
>>     do something for 3 seconds
>>
>> Assuming:
>>
>>     +kff???
>>     +ki0 (default)
>>     +kf1 (default)
>>     And that we encode the final animation at 25 fps.
>>
>> Would one use something like this to figure out where in
>> time we are?
>>
>> #declare T = frame_number / 25 ;
>>
>> #if ( T<2 | ( T>5 & T<8 ) )
>>     do something
>> #end

> Seems okay to me. There's #range, used in #switch
> directive, that I might use for this kind of purpose too.
> Goes like so:
>
> #switch (T)
> #range (0,2)
> /* do first thing */
> #break
> #range (5,8)
> /* do second thing */
> #break
> #end
>
> Except this wouldn't prevent the exact values 2, 5 and 8
> from being taken into account;

For (#range) the docs say:

  If Low_Value <= Switch_Value and Switch_Value<=High_Value
  then the condition is true.

I havn't tried #range directive yet, maybe there is a bug
that i'm not aware of?

> unlike your #if directive method, which I'd say is
> perfectly fine in that particular example. You just don't
> need the parenthesis around T>5&T<8 for it to work right, I
> believe.

The parenthesis just makes things absolutely "clear", I never
liked relying on precedence.

Thanks

--
Marc Champagne