POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Bouncing ball Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:46:15 EDT (-0400)
  Bouncing ball (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Bouncing ball
Date: 27 Sep 2002 12:13:01
Message: <3d94838d@news.povray.org>
Hi folks. Another day's work, another animation...

Actually, this is a fast one (12 mins to render - 8 when I only used 1 might
source!) It's a (hopefully) physically-correct bounding ball. Let me know
what you think!

http://www.btinternet.com/~orphi/Video/Kinetics1.m1v

It's roughly 1.5MB, 250 frame @ 25 fps = 10 seconds. Hope you like it ;-)

Notice how towards the very end the bouncing goes wrong... It's due to the
way the bounce detection macro works... A real ball would eventually just
roll along the ground, but mine keeps randomly bouncing. Theoritically if
you did it at a high enough frame rate (say, 1,000,000 fps) this would go
away - but there *has* to be a better way!

Anyway, my next project is the Chaos Penulum ;-)
Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:12:50 +0100, "Andrew Coppin"
<orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

>Actually, this is a fast one (12 mins to render - 8 when I only used 1 might
>source!)

In my state of mind and body, I could definitely use a might source.
Any free ones?

<follow-ups set>

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

> Notice how towards the very end the bouncing goes wrong... It's due to the
> way the bounce detection macro works... A real ball would eventually just
> roll along the ground, but mine keeps randomly bouncing. Theoritically if
> you did it at a high enough frame rate (say, 1,000,000 fps) this would go
> away - but there *has* to be a better way!

I think it would look more realistic if it didn't bounce as high each time.
If each time it bounces 50% or so of the amount it bounced the last time, it
would approach a roll sooner.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

> Hi folks. Another day's work, another animation...
>
> Actually, this is a fast one (12 mins to render - 8 when I only used 1 might
> source!) It's a (hopefully) physically-correct bounding ball. Let me know
> what you think!
>
> http://www.btinternet.com/~orphi/Video/Kinetics1.m1v

I wasn't able to view it, it seems to be marked as a text file on your
webserver.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,