POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Bouncing ball : Re: Bouncing ball Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:51:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bouncing ball
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 27 Sep 2002 15:23:01
Message: <3d94b015@news.povray.org>
As I say, it's all in the bounce. I've been fiddling with the height ratio
for ages... Too low and the ball bounces once and it's over. Too high and
the ball actually bounces *heigher* each time! 8-0 And as I said, when the
ball stops bouncing, the macro kinda goes wrong (it only calculates one
bounce per frame, and starts being a bit random... maybe I need to put in an
artificial smoothing term or something...)

The acceleration of the ball should be exactly 8.9006m/s^2 (if the animation
actually plays back at 25fps, and you assume the ball is 1 meter across).
The bouncing part probably isn't very realistically simulated - to be
honest, I don't know much about the physics of bouncing!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to attack the Chaos Pendulum. That doesn't
involve any bouncing, only the interplay of forces and Newton's laws of
motion, so I should be able to get it down fairly well!

Until tomorrow...
Andrew.