POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Peter Santo
Subject: pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm
Date: 25 Oct 1999 05:15:15
Message: <38141F91.C71A9963@exaweb.de>
Maybe many of the readers have the same problem I have: disk space. As
far as I understand the mpeg standard it should be possible to generate
mpeg output directly from pov, without having to store every one and
single frame of an animaton on disk before compressing.

Here is the idea:

- Tell povray the sequence scheme of I/P/B frames.

- Write single frames into files (e.g. ppm)

- Every time an I-frame is generated, compress the last I-to-I sequence,
append it to the mpeg file, generate a valid mpeg header and delete the
uncompressed images.

Of course, one could do this without modifying Povray:

- Generate a Povray INI file depending on the I/P/B scheme.

- Shell out from the Povray animation loop after every I-frame has
finished rendering and call a program that does the same as descibed
above.

That way you would only have to store a few uncompressed images (e.g. 10
if you use IBBPBBPBBI). I am not volunteering for writing such a program
or asking anyone to do so. I would just like to get some comments, if
you think this would work and/or be a good idea to do.

/PETER/

--
Peter Santo (PUMP development)
HP: http://www.exaweb.de
> Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe many of the readers have the same problem I have: disk space. As
> far as I understand the mpeg standard it should be possible to generate
> mpeg output directly from pov, without having to store every one and
> single frame of an animaton on disk before compressing.
>
> Here is the idea:
>
> - Tell povray the sequence scheme of I/P/B frames.
>
> - Write single frames into files (e.g. ppm)
>
> - Every time an I-frame is generated, compress the last I-to-I sequence,
> append it to the mpeg file, generate a valid mpeg header and delete the
> uncompressed images.
>
> Of course, one could do this without modifying Povray:
>
> - Generate a Povray INI file depending on the I/P/B scheme.
>
> - Shell out from the Povray animation loop after every I-frame has
> finished rendering and call a program that does the same as descibed
> above.
>
> That way you would only have to store a few uncompressed images (e.g. 10
> if you use IBBPBBPBBI). I am not volunteering for writing such a program
> or asking anyone to do so. I would just like to get some comments, if
> you think this would work and/or be a good idea to do.
>
> /PETER/
>
> --
> Peter Santo (PUMP development)
> HP: http://www.exaweb.de
> > Ever heard of .cshrc?
> That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?

I can see the advantage. On the other hand: you trash your raw material on the
fly, so what if you find you need that in the end after all? I'm also suffering
from a chronical shortage of diskspace, but I don't think I would go this far.
As it is, i even keep the raw pov-output in a zip even after an animation is
finished. Of course I keep those zips on a cd, not on my harddisk.
My point is: mpeg-compression destroys part of the image-quality so if you need
part of the frames for another purpose, or want to change them, you'll have to
rerender them (or even the whole animation).

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message

Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
: My point is: mpeg-compression destroys part of the image-quality so if you need
: part of the frames for another purpose, or want to change them, you'll have to
: rerender them (or even the whole animation).

  Or if you chose the wrong quality and want to make the mpg with a better
quality.

  Since I stopped using pirate software, I have never run out of disk space.

>As far as I understand the mpeg standard it should be
>possible to generate mpeg output directly from pov

>- Generate a Povray INI file depending on the I/P/B scheme

POV already has ini files for DTA in the render folder. I've
never played with them before ,so I'm probably wrong, but it
looks like they do what your looking for(DTA doesn't do mpeg
though).

Is this right or am I confused?

--
Phil
...coffee?...yes please! extra sugar,extra cream...Thank you.

Post a reply to this message

>   Since I stopped using pirate software, I have never run out of disk space.

I don't see the connection. My disk space is crammed with POV-stuff. 8)

Remco

Post a reply to this message

Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
: I don't see the connection. My disk space is crammed with POV-stuff. 8)

  You have been raytracing for too long when your 6.5 Gigabytes hard disk
is always full of pov-stuff...

  I'm not THAT hardcore povrayer! :)