POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm : Re: pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm
From: Ken
Date: 26 Oct 1999 04:28:41
Message: <381565B3.4369D0FF@pacbell.net>
Peter Santo wrote:

> Maybe many of the readers have the same problem I have: disk space. As
> far as I understand the mpeg standard it should be possible to generate
> mpeg output directly from pov, without having to store every one and
> single frame of an animaton on disk before compressing.

  I brought this up a few months ago when I found out that the Mac
version of POV-Ray had built in animation support. It seems that
the way the the apple quick time support is so deeply associated
with the Macintosh platform it was an easy task to write into the
Mac POV-Ray interface.
  When I made the suggestion that something similar be added to the
Windows version of the program it fell mostly upon deaf ears and
no one spoke up in favor of the idea except Thorsten who mentioned
how easy it was with the Mac version.

  The only problem I can see if you tried to integrate this into
POV-Ray across the board you might have a cross platform compatibility
issue to resolve. Which animation format do you adopt ?  MpegI and
MpegII, AVI, MOV, and all of the other animation formats that are
currently available. Which video codecs do you support ? What happens
like others mention if you choose the wrong frame rate and all of
your render time goes for nothing ?

It seems there are a lot of what if's to work out before it could
become a reality though I personaly am in favor of some form of
built in animation support.

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: