POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm : Re: pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm
From: omniVERSE
Date: 26 Oct 1999 06:59:23
Message: <3815898b@news.povray.org>
Not exactly like the output to Jpg thing for sure, saving space does have
it's advantages when making animations but I wonder if the feasibilty is
relevant enough considering multi-gigabyte hard disks these days.
Although it was only a year ago I was finding myself struggling with little
room to manuever with a total of 8 GB and 150 MB free (my fault, I was
doubling and triplicating files on other partitions and second HD in case of
potential data loss of course, no backup hardware).
I don't see the idea as being a bad one, just not real important unless the
animation were to be very large, say 1000 frames at 640x480 res. making
somewhere around 1400 MB I think.
Something to consider would be the added rendering time due to the ever
growing Mpg file being appended to with each access causing a delay (always
increasing delay at that possibly).

Bob