POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Object Movie - Macro?? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Object Movie - Macro?? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Martin Crisp
Subject: Object Movie - Macro??
Date: 4 Jul 1999 21:46:06
Message: <37800e5e@news.povray.org>
Hi All,

I've been working on a fairly simple task: Rotating an object in 'steps'
suitable for making object movie frames. I have it working to the stage
where I could take it into a macro... My questions now are
essentially...

Does such a thing already exist?
If not, anyone interested if I can get it happening?

Lastly:
Would it be better to have a Macro which redefines & returns the object?
Or one which actually transforms and produces the frame?

As I see it at the moment it would take 7 parms:
The object, x rotation, y rotation, number of rows, number of columns,
whether it wraps at the end of the x_rotation, whether it wraps at the
end of the y_rotation.

(These last 2 could be ommitted, but it makes the math simpler for the
human if they want an object movie to 'loop' as they specify where it
loops rather than having to recalculate the sweep angle(s) based on the
number of rows/cols)

Note: The macro would have to assume that the object and camera are in
the right place, I don't want to tie it to detecting the object bounds
and translating, rotating and translating again (assuming I could do
that). Plus you may not *want* an object actually 'in place'  (union
everything in the scene except the camera, pass that object => VR Object
Panorama pivoting around <0,0,0>)

Comments?

Have Fun
Martin
--
<Spa### [at] tesseractcomau> is a valid address
If you prefer mnemonic addresses you can use:

My opinions should not be taken as indicative of Tourism Tasmania's
opinions

Post a reply to this message

> I've been working on a fairly simple task: Rotating an object in 'steps'
> suitable for making object movie frames. I have it working to the stage
> where I could take it into a macro... My questions now are
> essentially...
>
> Does such a thing already exist?
> If not, anyone interested if I can get it happening?

  I don't think I quite understand what the function of this is supposed to
perform. Could you please eleborate a little as to what one would expect
from such a macro function and how it would be better or similar to just
using the clock function inside translate and rotate functions.

Thank you.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

>> I've been working on a fairly simple task: Rotating an object in
'steps'
>> suitable for making object movie frames. I have it working to the
stage
>> where I could take it into a macro... My questions now are
>> essentially...
>>
>> Does such a thing already exist?
>> If not, anyone interested if I can get it happening?
>
>  I don't think I quite understand what the function of this is
supposed to
>perform. Could you please eleborate a little as to what one would
expect
>from such a macro function and how it would be better or similar to
just
>using the clock function inside translate and rotate functions.

OK,

Say I have an object that I want to make into an object movie... The
frames need to be at specific locations to achieve smooth rotation, and
the rotation may not be around the entire object in terms of either the
y or x axis.

If I want 30 columns and 10 rows, and I want the y rotation to be fully
360 degrees and to 'wrap' and want the x rotation to be 180 degrees and
not wrap...

I need the y rotational steps to be 360/cols
(Makes the actual arc 0-348 degrees for 30 columns, the 0 degree column
swaps in for the 360, same as 'standard' cyclic animation)

I need the x rotational steps to be 180/(rows-1)
(Makes the arc 0-180 degrees for 10 rows)

That's easy. But I also need to order the output frames to go into
whatever application I'm using to make the object movie. (I'm assuming
that they all allow 'vertical' order import...at this stage)

So I need to render (x0,y0), then (x1,y0),....,(x(rows-1),y0), (x0,y1),
(x1,y1),..., (x(rows-1),y(cols-1))

Which requires div-ing and mod-ing the frame number as well.

The biggest advantage is not having to do the math yourself (it isn't
that hard provided you pass an integer for the frame number, but it's
error prone - which is the best reason there is for a Macro....).

I have it working, if no-one else wants it then I won't bother making it
into a macro, if someone else does want it, I'll tidy it up.... (I'm at
work at the moment so don't have the source at hand)

Have Fun
Martin