POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Looping and other things Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Looping and other things (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Gordon
Subject: Looping and other things
Date: 9 Mar 1999 21:38:07
Message: <36e5db0f.0@news.povray.org>
Hi All,

I have a couple of questions regarding animation files. I used to do
everything with FLI files until recently, using an old copy of DTA(1992?).

I just got the new version and it is great. I now make AVI files. They are
much more compact and are full colour. But, how can I make them loop cleanly
like a FLI. I believe this is to do with the player, it has a pause between
the end and the start when you turn on looping. Are there any players that
will cleanly loop an AVI file? Also can anyone suggest a player that stays
open after playing the file, or defaults to looping on open. I find I double
click on a file to try it and it disappears before you even see it.

Second problem, the FLI/FLC files I get from the new version of DTA won't
play in Playflc. What gives, is there a switch for DTA to make old format
FLIs or what?

Finally, I have been playing around with AVI2MPG. I can't seem to get the
same saturation of colour, and, they also won;t loop cleanly. Any hints?

Thanks
Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

Post a reply to this message

> I have a couple of questions regarding animation files. I used to do
> everything with FLI files until recently, using an old copy of DTA(1992?).
>
> I just got the new version and it is great. I now make AVI files. They are
> much more compact and are full colour. But, how can I make them loop cleanly
> like a FLI. I believe this is to do with the player, it has a pause between
> the end and the start when you turn on looping. Are there any players that
> will cleanly loop an AVI file? Also can anyone suggest a player that stays
> open after playing the file, or defaults to looping on open. I find I double
> click on a file to try it and it disappears before you even see it.

 Other than the control settings in Pov I don't know if there are players
that can cleanly loop. If you have a cyclic animation where the action
ends where it started at then it's easy to have clean loops. If it ends
with objects in positions other than at their original starting point
then it takes a moment for the display to catch up with the change in
the images difference. This might be hampered on systems with low video
card memory as well because they can't buffer the input as much as a card
with more memory can.

> Second problem, the FLI/FLC files I get from the new version of DTA won't
> play in Playflc. What gives, is there a switch for DTA to make old format
> FLIs or what?

I haven't seen a diffenece but haven't used it much either.

  The program I use for all of my AVI, FLI and FLC animations is a dos
program called Sea. It not only has support for animation files but
can view most image file formats plus offers support for a couple of
different sound file formats like .wav's as well. It is a very fast
conversion tools, dithering, gamma correction, thumbnail utility,
and has a few image filters thrown in as extras.
  While it may be a dos program it's interface is in it's own windowed
environment, it runs even faster under windows than it does in dos, and
I find is easier to browse directories of images with faster than any
windows based image program I have ever tried. I have been using it for
about three years now and doubt I'll ever give it up unless dos programs
become completely unsupported on windows platforms. It also will use a
mouse if running under windows or a mouse if a driver is loaded in dos.

Get a copy at:
http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/uklib/info.html?fcode=0003U4

> Finally, I have been playing around with AVI2MPG. I can't seem to get the
> same saturation of colour, and, they also won;t loop cleanly. Any hints?

No idea.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

Thanks for the link to SEA, I'll try it out.

Gordon
Ken wrote in message <36E### [at] pacbellnet>...
> [...]
>conversion tools, dithering, gamma correction, thumbnail utility,
>and has a few image filters thrown in as extras.
>  While it may be a dos program it's interface is in it's own windowed
>environment, it runs even faster under windows than it does in dos, and
>I find is easier to browse directories of images with faster than any
>windows based image program I have ever tried. I have been using it for
>about three years now and doubt I'll ever give it up unless dos programs
>become completely unsupported on windows platforms. It also will use a
>mouse if running under windows or a mouse if a driver is loaded in dos.
>
>Get a copy at:
>http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/uklib/info.html?fcode=0003U4
>
>> Finally, I have been playing around with AVI2MPG. I can't seem to get the
>> same saturation of colour, and, they also won;t loop cleanly. Any hints?

Just got SEAView. Great program. I guess I'll have to organise some more $US
cheques and register.

Thanks Again.

Gordon