POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nitpicking about isosurface threshold Server Time
7 May 2024 12:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Nitpicking about isosurface threshold (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold
Date: 12 Nov 2015 02:18:20
Message: <56443d3c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/11/2015 06:01, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>> Looking at your very nice result and inspecting your code I think that you have
>> implemented the formula properly.
>>
>> And I learned that one can post images to this group. Despite the fact that the
>> web front end states "You may not post attachments to this newsgroups". How did
>> you achieve this, Thunderbird?
>
> Recalling my Usenet days, it's an honor system; and while news.povray.org is not
> part of Usenet, the network protocol is identical.  Newsreaders do not enforce
> newsgroup policies.  However, the Web interface is hosted on the server, and can
> take enforcement options not available to newsreaders.
>
> Perhaps Scott is unaware of the protocols of antiquity.  Unless the newsgroup
> has the word "binaries" in its name, one is expected not to post binaries to
> that newsgroup, at the risk of being flamed or retromoderated.  But flames are
> rare in this community, and I can recall only two instances of retromoderation
> in the 12 years I have been here.
>
> On news.povray.org, there is an exception to this rule: povray.off-topic.  Since
> the Web interface permits binary attachments, I must assume that this exception
> has official sanction.

The conservation of povray.off-topic is different from other groups:
things will disappear in off-topic.

The problem with attachments anywhere is the storage (disk) of them.
It was also a problem of bandwidth and money: when paying by the minute
for a 28.8k baud modem connections, you might be pissed off, despite
reading non-binary groups only for that purpose, by a serie of large
(like 500kb) attachments which consume your line for 10 minutes each.

Post a reply to this message

>> And I learned that one can post images to this group. Despite the fact that the
>> web front end states "You may not post attachments to this newsgroups". How did
>> you achieve this, Thunderbird?

Yes Thunderbird, and before that Outlook Express. I don't ever remember
using the web interface before to post anything.

> Recalling my Usenet days, it's an honor system; and while news.povray.org is not
> part of Usenet, the network protocol is identical.  Newsreaders do not enforce
> newsgroup policies.  However, the Web interface is hosted on the server, and can
> take enforcement options not available to newsreaders.
>
> Perhaps Scott is unaware of the protocols of antiquity.  Unless the newsgroup
> has the word "binaries" in its name, one is expected not to post binaries to
> that newsgroup, at the risk of being flamed or retromoderated.  But flames are
> rare in this community, and I can recall only two instances of retromoderation
> in the 12 years I have been here.

Honestly I had completely forgotten, if it was a POV generated image I
would have certainly posted it in the images group, but as it wasn't I
didn't think twice about just attaching it to my reply here. If I get
around to improving the lighting and focal blur a bit more I'll post up
some more images in the binary group.

Post a reply to this message

> The conservation of povray.off-topic is different from other groups:
> things will disappear in off-topic.
>
> The problem with attachments anywhere is the storage (disk) of them.
> It was also a problem of bandwidth and money: when paying by the minute
> for a 28.8k baud modem connections, you might be pissed off, despite
> reading non-binary groups only for that purpose, by a serie of large
> (like 500kb) attachments which consume your line for 10 minutes each.

Yes I remember waiting minutes to look at an image only. It's long ago but there
are still big differences in bandwidth between the cities and rural regions even
in Germany - and as I learned some months ago here even in the US. I have no
idea what bandwidth is provided in less developed countries. So I will not break
this old rules and post my images to p.b.i.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

> Honestly I had completely forgotten, if it was a POV generated image I
> would have certainly posted it in the images group, but as it wasn't I
> didn't think twice about just attaching it to my reply here.

I post all of my POV-relevant images to p.b.i, regardless of source.  If it's a
photo, I tag it as an awsome[sic] Rolex, otherwise I just name the source.