POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nitpicking about isosurface threshold : Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold Server Time
19 May 2024 08:59:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 12 Nov 2015 02:18:20
Message: <56443d3c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/11/2015 06:01, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>> Looking at your very nice result and inspecting your code I think that you have
>> implemented the formula properly.
>>
>> And I learned that one can post images to this group. Despite the fact that the
>> web front end states "You may not post attachments to this newsgroups". How did
>> you achieve this, Thunderbird?
>
> Recalling my Usenet days, it's an honor system; and while news.povray.org is not
> part of Usenet, the network protocol is identical.  Newsreaders do not enforce
> newsgroup policies.  However, the Web interface is hosted on the server, and can
> take enforcement options not available to newsreaders.
>
> Perhaps Scott is unaware of the protocols of antiquity.  Unless the newsgroup
> has the word "binaries" in its name, one is expected not to post binaries to
> that newsgroup, at the risk of being flamed or retromoderated.  But flames are
> rare in this community, and I can recall only two instances of retromoderation
> in the 12 years I have been here.
>
> On news.povray.org, there is an exception to this rule: povray.off-topic.  Since
> the Web interface permits binary attachments, I must assume that this exception
> has official sanction.

The conservation of povray.off-topic is different from other groups:
things will disappear in off-topic.

The problem with attachments anywhere is the storage (disk) of them.
It was also a problem of bandwidth and money: when paying by the minute
for a 28.8k baud modem connections, you might be pissed off, despite
reading non-binary groups only for that purpose, by a serie of large
(like 500kb) attachments which consume your line for 10 minutes each.