POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : An idea about plant growth with a L-System and the mesh-camera Server Time
24 Jun 2024 09:41:02 EDT (-0400)
  An idea about plant growth with a L-System and the mesh-camera (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: An idea about plant growth with a L-System and the mesh-camera
Date: 7 Jan 2013 04:09:11
Message: <50ea90b7$1@news.povray.org>
> Thanks a lot, but unfortunatelly I can only find a broken link at an Australian
> server. Can you remember the picture or the topic? Basic could be suffient for
> me, since I intent only a proof of concept at the moment.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

I've posted the code in p.b.s. (i.e. povray.binaries.scene-files):
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C50e54231%40news.povray.org%3E/
;-)
Paolo

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Jan 2013 11:40:01
Message: <web.50ec4aca79737bf578641e0c0@news.povray.org>
"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> BTW The mesh-cam is a very useful and mighty approvement to POV. Why are Jaime
> and I the only users here to play around with it?

Probably because I can't make heads or tails of what it even means.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 8 Jan 2013 17:29:29
Message: <50ec9dc9$1@news.povray.org>

> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>> BTW The mesh-cam is a very useful and mighty approvement to POV. Why are Jaime
>> and I the only users here to play around with it?
>
> Probably because I can't make heads or tails of what it even means.

  It means that you can use a mesh surface as a viewing port, or
something like that... to make a gross analogy, think on a point light
and a emitting surface: now replace the light rays for camera rays and
you got it. :)

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 9 Jan 2013 16:20:00
Message: <web.50eddedf79737bf532256c560@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> >> BTW The mesh-cam is a very useful and mighty approvement to POV. Why are Jaime
> >> and I the only users here to play around with it?
> >
> > Probably because I can't make heads or tails of what it even means.
> >

>   It means that you can use a mesh surface as a viewing port, or
> something like that... to make a gross analogy, think on a point light
> and a emitting surface: now replace the light rays for camera rays and
> you got it. :)
>
> --
> Jaime

Yes, I interpret the mesh cam (distribution type 3) in a way like looking
through the "eyes of an object". What can be seen from the surface of an object
(the mesh the mesh camera represents)? Is there light or is there darkness? My
idea here was then, what can a sprout see, where is the most light and then grow
in this direction. So far I have only a meta program for the "animation" feature
of pov to yield results here. And I'm confident that it will work. But first I
will go for the next entry at Tina-Chep, I hope you can forgive me. As soon as I
have results to this isuue here, I will post them.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 9 Jan 2013 16:25:00
Message: <web.50eddf8279737bf532256c560@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini <p.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Thanks a lot, but unfortunatelly I can only find a broken link at an Australian
> > server. Can you remember the picture or the topic? Basic could be suffient for
> > me, since I intent only a proof of concept at the moment.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michael
> >

> I've posted the code in p.b.s. (i.e. povray.binaries.scene-files):

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C50e54231%40news.povray.org%3E/
> ;-)
> Paolo

Thanks a lot,
now I have it, I will investigate it tomorrow. I'm a little bit tired at the
moment and will give you response ASAP.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 10 Jan 2013 03:43:56
Message: <50ee7f4c@news.povray.org>
> Thanks a lot,
> now I have it, I will investigate it tomorrow. I'm a little bit tired at the
> moment and will give you response ASAP.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

You're welcome,
If you plan to use the code I can clean it a bit...
;-)
Paolo

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 14 Jan 2013 08:10:01
Message: <web.50f4036d79737bf5ed29e82f0@news.povray.org>
"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> BTW The mesh-cam is a very useful and mighty approvement to POV. Why are Jaime
> and I the only users here to play around with it?
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

There is a baking feature in Blender to POV-Ray exporter that uses the mesh
camera. It's currently commented out as there are other priorities, but anyone
wanting to play with it can access it in the official Blender package.

The idea of using it for plant growth sounds fun I can't wait to play with the
result :)

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 14 Jan 2013 14:40:01
Message: <web.50f45de179737bf530fe50f30@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini <p.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Thanks a lot,
> > now I have it, I will investigate it tomorrow. I'm a little bit tired at the
> > moment and will give you response ASAP.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michael
> >

> You're welcome,
> If you plan to use the code I can clean it a bit...
> ;-)
> Paolo

Hi Paolo,

tonight I found the time to look at your code finally. I think it is a good
starting point for my purposes. I never would have came up with the simple idea
to store the left and the right hand side of the productions into corresponding
arrays. This gives room for improvement. I think it is possible to extend your
str_pos and str_replace macros to accept strings for the parameter "caraterre"
which would make simple context-sensitive grammars possible. Since I need an
extension into the third dimension and a so called "open parameter" (to
determine the next direction with the mesh cam), which is handled between every
iteration of your parse_string macro with additional code, I propose to leave
the changes to me (since I'm not very good in explaining my ideas to others).
But I thank you very much for the code and your kind offer.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 14 Jan 2013 15:40:01
Message: <web.50f46d1a79737bf530fe50f30@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > BTW The mesh-cam is a very useful and mighty approvement to POV. Why are Jaime
> > and I the only users here to play around with it?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michael
>
> There is a baking feature in Blender to POV-Ray exporter that uses the mesh
> camera. It's currently commented out as there are other priorities, but anyone
> wanting to play with it can access it in the official Blender package.
>
> The idea of using it for plant growth sounds fun I can't wait to play with the
> result :)

I have to take my time for this project, so please be a little bit patient. I'm
interested in the results for myself since the idea is a little bit insane. But
I think it can work. And I love insane ideas...

Paolos code gave me some ideas for simplifications I would not came up having
not studied it. This may speed up the project (but make it more simple, of
course). But at the moment I'm only interested in testing the possibility. And
not in realistic growing trees with elabourated barks and leafs. If I can extend
Paolos approach into the third dimension and determine the direction of growth
with the meshcam in a simple animation (made with POV of course, I have no idea
about blender), I will be content. But having only two or three hours in the
evenings for such projects, it will take a while.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 15 Jan 2013 07:35:38
Message: <50f54d1a$1@news.povray.org>
>MichaelJF  on date 14/01/2013 20.35 wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> tonight I found the time to look at your code finally. I think it is a good
> starting point for my purposes. I never would have came up with the simple idea
> to store the left and the right hand side of the productions into corresponding
> arrays. This gives room for improvement. I think it is possible to extend your
> str_pos and str_replace macros to accept strings for the parameter "caraterre"
> which would make simple context-sensitive grammars possible. Since I need an
> extension into the third dimension and a so called "open parameter" (to
> determine the next direction with the mesh cam), which is handled between every
> iteration of your parse_string macro with additional code, I propose to leave
> the changes to me (since I'm not very good in explaining my ideas to others).
> But I thank you very much for the code and your kind offer.
>

> Best regards,
> Michael

It is an old work but I'm fascinated by L-Systems and I'm glad that the
code can be reused.
I've translated in English the names of the variables and added a couple
of comments. You can find the updated source in p.b.s.

Regarding the 3-d extension, there is an example here:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/123642/representing-a-3d-hilbert-curve-as-an-l-system
In the example they introduced Yaw, Pitch and Roll.

Hope it helps,
;-)
    Paolo