POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : single precision vs double precision Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  single precision vs double precision (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Bruno Cabasson
Subject: single precision vs double precision
Date: 15 Nov 2012 09:45:01
Message: <web.50a4f1a19998030c4aa45fdf0@news.povray.org>
Hi all!

Considering that many 3D applications (eg games) use single precision for their
renders, I am wondering where we really need double precision for 'normally'
sized scenes. I mean scenes that do not mix microscopic and gigantic distances.

For sure, if the dynamic is huge, we absolutely need double precision, at least
for object coordinates. But, if the dynamic in distances is reasonable, is it
mandatory to use double precision for the following features :

    ray - bounding box intersection tests ?
    ray - object intersection computation ?
    others (TBD) ?

Independantly from the dynamic in scenes and from CPU hardware considerations
(see
http://research.colfaxinternational.com/file.axd?file=2012%2F4%2FColfax_FLOPS.pdf),
why would single precision not be sufficient for :

    RGBFT values storage, which might imply :
        radiosity/photon maps elaboration ?
        texturing and lighting ?
    media (even though it uses integration methods)
    others (TBD)

What do you think ? Has the subject already been debated here ?

    Bruno.

Post a reply to this message

"Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] cabassoncom> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Considering that many 3D applications (eg games) use single precision for their
> renders, I am wondering where we really need double precision for 'normally'
> sized scenes. I mean scenes that do not mix microscopic and gigantic distances.
>
> For sure, if the dynamic is huge, we absolutely need double precision, at least
> for object coordinates. But, if the dynamic in distances is reasonable, is it
> mandatory to use double precision for the following features :
>
>     ray - bounding box intersection tests ?
>     ray - object intersection computation ?
>     others (TBD) ?

[snip]

> What do you think ? Has the subject already been debated here ?

The dynamic doesn't even have to be huge.  See:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47e40ce72d3a644685de7b680@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=304745&t
off=500

Since the error was not lighting-related, I don't think the 37,417 POV-unit
distance to the light source should be considered in the dynamic.  What sort of
dynamic do you have in mind?

POV-Ray does not seem suited to single precision.  Perhaps it is the nature of
mathematically defined shapes that they require higher precision than mesh-based
systems.

Post a reply to this message

"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> "Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] cabassoncom> wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Considering that many 3D applications (eg games) use single precision for their
> > renders, I am wondering where we really need double precision for 'normally'
> > sized scenes. I mean scenes that do not mix microscopic and gigantic distances.
> >
> > For sure, if the dynamic is huge, we absolutely need double precision, at least
> > for object coordinates. But, if the dynamic in distances is reasonable, is it
> > mandatory to use double precision for the following features :
> >
> >     ray - bounding box intersection tests ?
> >     ray - object intersection computation ?
> >     others (TBD) ?
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > What do you think ? Has the subject already been debated here ?
>
> The dynamic doesn't even have to be huge.  See:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47e40ce72d3a644685de7b680@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=304745
&t
> off=500
>
> Since the error was not lighting-related, I don't think the 37,417 POV-unit
> distance to the light source should be considered in the dynamic.  What sort of
> dynamic do you have in mind?
>
> POV-Ray does not seem suited to single precision.  Perhaps it is the nature of
> mathematically defined shapes that they require higher precision than mesh-based
> systems.

Meshes also involve maths ...

The kind of dynamic I have in mind could be a 1 millimeter detail close to the
camera, and a million miles away huge object. Take the recent post with the
toroidal planet in pbi. Imagin the camera sees a flower on its ground with small
petals.

My question was about the fundamental need of double precision in Ray-Tracing
for 'normal' scenes. What features need DP, and what need not.

Post a reply to this message

On 11/15/2012 8:43 AM, Bruno Cabasson wrote:
> "Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
>> "Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] cabassoncom> wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Considering that many 3D applications (eg games) use single precision for their
>>> renders, I am wondering where we really need double precision for 'normally'
>>> sized scenes. I mean scenes that do not mix microscopic and gigantic distances.
>>>
>>> For sure, if the dynamic is huge, we absolutely need double precision, at least
>>> for object coordinates. But, if the dynamic in distances is reasonable, is it
>>> mandatory to use double precision for the following features :
>>>
>>>      ray - bounding box intersection tests ?
>>>      ray - object intersection computation ?
>>>      others (TBD) ?
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> What do you think ? Has the subject already been debated here ?
>>
>> The dynamic doesn't even have to be huge.  See:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47e40ce72d3a644685de7b680@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=304745
> &t
>> off=500
>>
>> Since the error was not lighting-related, I don't think the 37,417 POV-unit
>> distance to the light source should be considered in the dynamic.  What sort of
>> dynamic do you have in mind?
>>
>> POV-Ray does not seem suited to single precision.  Perhaps it is the nature of
>> mathematically defined shapes that they require higher precision than mesh-based
>> systems.
>
> Meshes also involve maths ...
>
> The kind of dynamic I have in mind could be a 1 millimeter detail close to the
> camera, and a million miles away huge object. Take the recent post with the
> toroidal planet in pbi. Imagin the camera sees a flower on its ground with small
> petals.
>
> My question was about the fundamental need of double precision in Ray-Tracing
> for 'normal' scenes. What features need DP, and what need not.

Uh.. All of them? lol

Seriously though, the problem is close distances. Things like
"coincident surfaces" can appear much easier in cases where the
precision is lower. The higher the precision, the less likely you are to
get miscalculations. I presume there are other cases as well. But, in
this case, in principle, you can have objects layered "much closer" to
each other, and not have accidental overlaps, due to attempts to find
which one got hit first in the math.

Still think there has got to be some better solution to those things
though, than just throwing bigger and bigger numbers at them... lol

Post a reply to this message

Am 15.11.2012 15:40, schrieb Bruno Cabasson:

> Considering that many 3D applications (eg games) use single precision for their
> renders, I am wondering where we really need double precision for 'normally'
> sized scenes. I mean scenes that do not mix microscopic and gigantic distances.
>
> For sure, if the dynamic is huge, we absolutely need double precision, at least
> for object coordinates. But, if the dynamic in distances is reasonable, is it
> mandatory to use double precision for the following features :
>
>      ray - bounding box intersection tests ?
>      ray - object intersection computation ?
>      others (TBD) ?

Yes, for some object types it is absolutely necessary, at least for the
internal math.

Likewise, if we were using single-precision, coincident surface issues
would be even worse. (A similar problem exists in 3D games, called
"Z-fighting".)

> why would single precision not be sufficient for :
>
>      RGBFT values storage, which might imply :
>          radiosity/photon maps elaboration ?
>          texturing and lighting ?

Absolutely. That's why color storage and math already /is/
single-precision ;-). (An exception is color storage at SDL level, but
that's only because the SDL doesn't differentiate between colors and
vectors.)

>      media (even though it uses integration methods)

Not sure what you mean by this. As far as color math is concerned, see
above.

Post a reply to this message