POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : single precision vs double precision : Re: single precision vs double precision Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: single precision vs double precision
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Nov 2012 12:15:57
Message: <50a5234d@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47e40ce72d3a644685de7b680@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=304745
> &t
>> off=500
>>
>> Since the error was not lighting-related, I don't think the 37,417 POV-unit
>> distance to the light source should be considered in the dynamic.  What sort of
>> dynamic do you have in mind?
>>
>> POV-Ray does not seem suited to single precision.  Perhaps it is the nature of
>> mathematically defined shapes that they require higher precision than mesh-based
>> systems.
>
> Meshes also involve maths ...
>
> The kind of dynamic I have in mind could be a 1 millimeter detail close to the
> camera, and a million miles away huge object. Take the recent post with the
> toroidal planet in pbi. Imagin the camera sees a flower on its ground with small
> petals.
>
> My question was about the fundamental need of double precision in Ray-Tracing
> for 'normal' scenes. What features need DP, and what need not.

Uh.. All of them? lol

Seriously though, the problem is close distances. Things like
"coincident surfaces" can appear much easier in cases where the
precision is lower. The higher the precision, the less likely you are to
get miscalculations. I presume there are other cases as well. But, in
this case, in principle, you can have objects layered "much closer" to
each other, and not have accidental overlaps, due to attempts to find
which one got hit first in the math.

Still think there has got to be some better solution to those things
though, than just throwing bigger and bigger numbers at them... lol