POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : single precision vs double precision : Re: single precision vs double precision Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: single precision vs double precision
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 16 Nov 2012 03:50:01
Message: <web.50a5fda7be17c2844aa45fdf0@news.povray.org>
> Am 15.11.2012 17:43, schrieb Bruno Cabasson:
>
> >> POV-Ray does not seem suited to single precision.  Perhaps it is the nature of
> >> mathematically defined shapes that they require higher precision than mesh-based
> >> systems.
> >
> > Meshes also involve maths ...
>
> Mesh math is pretty trivial, requiring only linear equations to be
> solved. But even a seemingly simple thing as a sphere already involves
> quadratic equations, and cubic equations aren't uncommon in POV-Ray
> either. Some primitives require even higher-order polynomials.
>
> And the higher the order of a polynomial, the higher the dynamic range
> needed to solve it.

Let me put it differently. Since today's GPUs' native format is single
precision, which is much faster than their emulated double precision (AFAIK),
and if POV-Ray were to use GPU or hardware-accelrated computing (one day ...,
see a recent post on the subject), I was curious to know where double precision
is really necessary.