POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Function Light Source Server Time
21 Jun 2024 16:33:56 EDT (-0400)
  Function Light Source (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: Function Light Source
Date: 25 Mar 2011 14:35:01
Message: <web.4d8cdf838017f1ad81c811d20@news.povray.org>
I want to be able to create a general light source whose intensity is based on a
spherical function, one that has more control than a simple spotlight.

When I was modelling my basement a few years ago, I faked it for modelling my
pot lights.  I simply used a point light inside an no_image sphere that was
mapped with my function for tranparency.  The map was based on light cut sheets
for particular bulbs.

I was trying to do something similar again, but I have the problem that my
spheres shadow other lights in the scene.  No_shadow won't help because I need
shadowing to pick up the transparency.  Light groups don't help because they
only affect lighting on the object and not shadowing of global lights.

Any other ideas?

The easiest solution, that doesn't seem to exist, would be to have an option
where light groups also ignore objects from shadowing global lights.

The most flexible solution would be a function based light source, where the
light intensity is derived from a user defined function.  This would give
flexibility to model several types of light sources, multi-directional lights
spotlights with custom falloff functions etc. (they would even be able to model
a regular point light by having a constant function).  Looks like I may have
another source coding item to have a look at some day...

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I want to be able to create a general light source whose intensity is based on a
> spherical function, one that has more control than a simple spotlight.
>
> When I was modelling my basement a few years ago, I faked it for modelling my
> pot lights.  I simply used a point light inside an no_image sphere that was
> mapped with my function for tranparency.  The map was based on light cut sheets
> for particular bulbs.
>
> I was trying to do something similar again, but I have the problem that my
> spheres shadow other lights in the scene.  No_shadow won't help because I need
> shadowing to pick up the transparency.  Light groups don't help because they
> only affect lighting on the object and not shadowing of global lights.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> The easiest solution, that doesn't seem to exist, would be to have an option
> where light groups also ignore objects from shadowing global lights.
>
> The most flexible solution would be a function based light source, where the
> light intensity is derived from a user defined function.  This would give
> flexibility to model several types of light sources, multi-directional lights
> spotlights with custom falloff functions etc. (they would even be able to model
> a regular point light by having a constant function).  Looks like I may have
> another source coding item to have a look at some day...

are you thinking IES profiles for povray?  yep, that would be great.

Post a reply to this message

> I want to be able to create a general light source whose intensity is based on a
> spherical function, one that has more control than a simple spotlight.
>
> When I was modelling my basement a few years ago, I faked it for modelling my
> pot lights.  I simply used a point light inside an no_image sphere that was
> mapped with my function for tranparency.  The map was based on light cut sheets
> for particular bulbs.
>
> I was trying to do something similar again, but I have the problem that my
> spheres shadow other lights in the scene.  No_shadow won't help because I need
> shadowing to pick up the transparency.  Light groups don't help because they
> only affect lighting on the object and not shadowing of global lights.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> The easiest solution, that doesn't seem to exist, would be to have an option
> where light groups also ignore objects from shadowing global lights.
>
> The most flexible solution would be a function based light source, where the
> light intensity is derived from a user defined function.  This would give
> flexibility to model several types of light sources, multi-directional lights
> spotlights with custom falloff functions etc. (they would even be able to model
> a regular point light by having a constant function).  Looks like I may have
> another source coding item to have a look at some day...
>
> -tgq

First, use all the available paramerets for the spot_light.
Experiment also with area_light.
You can use more than one spot_light with different brightness/colour,
radius, falloff and tightness. The brightness can be negative.

More advanced:
Model some projector complete with reflector and lense. Use photons. Use
1 point_light or a pair of spot_light: 1 pointing pointing back at the
reflector and one pointing forward.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> First, use all the available paramerets for the spot_light.
> Experiment also with area_light.
> You can use more than one spot_light with different brightness/colour,
> radius, falloff and tightness. The brightness can be negative.

I'm currently trying to fake it somewhat with spotlights, it'll do for now.

> More advanced:
> Model some projector complete with reflector and lense. Use photons. Use
> 1 point_light or a pair of spot_light: 1 pointing pointing back at the
> reflector and one pointing forward.

While this may be able to work to try to build realistic reflector maps and
such, it becomes horrendous to render with qaulity settings.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message