POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POV-Ray Voodoo: complex textures and surface normals Server Time
2 Jul 2024 19:42:30 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Voodoo: complex textures and surface normals (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: clipka
Subject: POV-Ray Voodoo: complex textures and surface normals
Date: 17 Jul 2009 07:55:00
Message: <web.4a60659677801e9a4aed1130@news.povray.org>
Another chapter from the tome of POV-Ray Voodoo:

When working with layered textures and pertubed surface normals, only the
topmost layer's normal pertubation is used for reflections and refractions
(although diffuse and highlight components are based on each layer's own normal
pertubation.)

So if for instance you want to model a blurry-reflective sphere (using micro- or
macronormals for the blur effect) partially covered with rust (using normals to
give the rust a rough appearance), be sure to model it with the rust *below*
the reflective texture (as the rust will not rely on reflection), or use a
texture_map to blend the two textures.

Post a reply to this message

> Another chapter from the tome of POV-Ray Voodoo:
>
> When working with layered textures and pertubed surface normals, only the
> topmost layer's normal pertubation is used for reflections and refractions
> (although diffuse and highlight components are based on each layer's own normal
> pertubation.)
>
> So if for instance you want to model a blurry-reflective sphere (using micro- or
> macronormals for the blur effect) partially covered with rust (using normals to
> give the rust a rough appearance), be sure to model it with the rust *below*
> the reflective texture (as the rust will not rely on reflection), or use a
> texture_map to blend the two textures.

Sorry, I must correct myself - I misread the source code:

Reflection *does* take into account each individual layer's normal pertubations;
only refraction doesn't - so if you want to model a dull rusty *glass* sphere...
>_<.

Post a reply to this message