POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Help on dispersion value Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Help on dispersion value (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Opal
Subject: Help on dispersion value
Date: 6 Apr 2008 21:10:00
Message: <web.47f970f5a63837b7c87d9e20@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

I'm trying to render the most realistic diamond there can be. To do so I need
realistic IOR value and dispersion value. At first I found them in consts.inc
shipped with POV-Ray, namely IOR value = 2.47 (or sth) and dispersion value =
1.035. Then I got across some scientific page about diamonds. As of 2003, the
most accurate value for diamond's IOR is 2.4175, and dispersion value of 0.044.

So my question is: how does 1.035 from POV-Ray relate to 0.044 from the web?